Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 49

wjames, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
We want to put this thing on the road, or at least moving on it's own power around the hangars, before my son heads off to college in St Paul on Sunday. So we pulled out the front seat parts to try to clean them up again, after they'd gotten a thorough vacuuming last winter. Too much mouse over the years, there is no way to get that smell out. And the fabric is just so fragile, you can't put any stress to it trying to clean and it falls apart.

I plan to just wrap the cushions in plastic for now, then throw a cheap bench seat cover over it all. Maybe stick a box of those little tree air fresheners under there too. Once we really mean business then it is down to the bare springs, de-rust and paint before we build it up from scratch.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.71 KB)
34001_53f2b310a0347.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (49.62 KB)
34001_53f2b3325fa27.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/18 21:15
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I had a little time over lunch today so I went through my vacuum wiper motor. I was really lucky, all the seals and gaskets were in good shape and it was clean inside. However, the grease inside was the color and consistency of ear wax, so it was pretty stiff.

So I cleaned everything up, put it all back together with liberal doses of silicone dielectric grease (I use Dow Corning 4 since we use that for aviation stuff a lot) and hooked my little vacuum pump tester, and it works! I'd never seen one of these in action before so it's kinda cool.

Can anyone tell me what the hose connection (on the right side, second photo) is supposed to be hooked up to? Nothing went to it on my car, and the vacuum came straight from the intake port since the fuel pump vacuum was broken and bypassed.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.71 KB)
34001_53f3e3d35d35e.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (27.04 KB)
34001_53f3e3e20e430.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/19 18:55
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The extra port is for the windshield washer option. To activate it you turn the knob the opposite direction from the direction needed to turn on the wipers and hold it for a few seconds. The motor valve slide uncovers a hole so the extra port will now supply vacuum to the washer pump which draws up water to charge the system.

If you had the option, the water release would be started by letting the knob go back to off and then turning knob to the wiper on position to start the wipers. As the valve slide moves, the port loses vacuum and is opened to air. A large spring in the pump forces the water out to windshield.

When you adjust the cable to the motor, make sure the knob is off and wiper slide is in the off position. Tighten the cable so no vacuum is being supplied to motor or that extra port.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks Howard, I see how the washer hooks up now when I looked at the "Perry Como" car pictures as you described. I don't have that option so do I need to cap that port or just leave it open?

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:29
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as the cable and valve is adjusted properly so no vacuum is being admitted to the port you can leave it open.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Tonight after work I put in a few hours on piddly stuff. Blasted and painted the hardware for the front fenders, replaced what I could but I still need to replace a couple on the rear bottom of the fenders where both bolts broke off. I got the rear part of the fuel line bent and in place, from the tank forward through the frame and ahead of the wheel. I just bought sections and I'll join them together. I don't think I'll have time this week to get the rest of the line bent up and installed, so we'll do the old demolition derby thing and just run from a gas can in the front seat.

Then I installed both rear wheels and let it off the jack stands. Next I mounted the front wheels and then got the front on the ground. Bent up and replaced all the vacuum lines and hoses. After that I installed the left front fender, been awhile since that was in place. I didn't install every bolt, just enough to hold everything in place. Mounted the battery box, kind of a stretch by myself but managed to reach the bolts over the top of the fender and tighten the nuts inside the wheel well.

Then put the battery in the box, and extended the wires for my temporary starter button and coil power switch so they'd reach the dash area inside the car. I need to fab a little bracket for them yet.

Next I installed the seat brackets on the floor, then the front seat frame. Got the seat adjuster hooked up so I can set the seat correctly. I have to wrap the seat cushions in plastic before I put them in place so nobody catches anything from the mouse peed seats.

Before I went home for the night, I started the car and made sure the wipers worked - all good and thanks for the tips Howard. I should probably get some new wiper blade rubbers on them, wouldn't want to scratch up my broken windshield!

The car looks smaller somehow now, since it isn't up on the jack stands anymore. We'll have it running under it's own power (I hope) the next time we work on it, tomorrow is Cruise Night over in West Fargo so if it isn't raining we'll be over there and the car will have to wait until Friday.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 22:47
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Full of inspiration from seeing a very similar Packard 200 at the local cruise night, we ran out to the hangar tonight and decided we'd see if the Ghost would move. My lovely wife helped me wrap the front seat cushions in plastic, then I installed the gas can in front of the seat and installed the necessary switches (duct tape!) - and we were off! Made a few laps around the hangars in the dark (remember, no wiring) and then stopped at one of the neighbors to have a beer in celebration.

No groans or anything from the transmission, car starts instantly every time but still clacking away. I am ecstatic!

Attach file:

jpg  (55.72 KB)
34001_53f6d00525eb3.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (37.41 KB)
34001_53f6d01b11a56.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (17.79 KB)
34001_53f6d02c2a3df.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/22 0:08
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Congrats on your 'maiden' voyage! I hope your tranny stays helathy when it warms up, and that you enjoyed the celebratory beer at your neighbors. Working on a car that actually moves and steers/stops on its own power must be motivating! Now get some wires in there

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:55
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Congratulations. Maybe you could have some clear plastic seat covers made up to preserve and show the original fabric (a la Henry's '55 Constellation exterior).

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The legend of the Grey Ghost is true, It's Alive!
http://youtu.be/bPmVhyHBRAM

Congratulations

Posted on: 2014/8/22 10:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved