Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Congrats!! Such a thrill when you get a car to move under its own power again!

Posted on: 2014/8/22 20:16
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks guys, when this car hits the streets for real I will have a PackardInfo.com decal in the rear window because this site is such a great resource. I suppose we could have had it running very soon after we got it, then commenced all of the cleanup work, but I felt that I might as well fix and clean while it was cold outside with the hope of being roadworthy in the summer. Not enough free time to get it done this summer though.

Here's a picture of my son giving his Mom a ride today, it really looks like a derby car in the daylight.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.94 KB)
34001_53f7fb9d21f73.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (46.26 KB)
34001_53f7fba90a69a.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/8/22 21:25
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well, back to reality. I don't like the noise from the engine, so I got an oil pressure gauge and installed it off of the tee fitting in place of the idiot light sender. Bled the gauge line to ensure a relatively accurate reading, well accurate if the engine was creating any real pressure that is.

The needle barely moves off the peg, probably 5 psi or less. Revved it a little (don't want to stress it with such low pressure) and no real change. Dang it.

Tonight I checked a couple things. I read on the forum that some tee fittings have a restrictor in one side, should go to the oil filter line. So I removed my fitting, same size orifice on both sides for the filter and lifters. See picture, is that restricted or just the inverted flare and normal? It's straight through to the gauge in any case, so that should get adequate flow and so I think the fitting isn't affecting the pressure. I am running Rotella 10W-30.

Next I took the cover off the oil pump, the gasket is nice and thin. The cover isn't scored and no wear step, so it's nice and flat. I discovered that my pressure relief valve seemed to not seat solidly. The sealing washer/gasket that I used from the gasket kit (no labels for what's what, just pick what seems to fit!) was pretty thick - .091". So I swapped it for a thin copper crush washer, and added a washer under the cap to add pressure on the spring. That had to be it!

Reassembled everything, fired up the engine and - no change. However I now know what lifter clatter sounds like, until the pump refilled with oil and it quieted that down quickly. Still no real pressure and a good ticking noise.

What am I missing, other than a bearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.97 KB)
34001_53fd53f73061d.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (16.56 KB)
34001_53fd54057e2cd.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/8/26 22:44
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not what you wanted to hear, but were it mine I'd get some Plastigage, drop the pan, and see what the lower end looks like. And check the oil pump intake screen - perhaps you'll find its choked with sludge.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 23:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I think the bearing clearance checks will have to be the next step, Dave. I don't believe that the pickup screen would be clogged, I replaced the oil pan and cleaned the pickup screen at that time, and haven't run the engine for more than a half hour total since. I've also seen advice to check the oil pickup tube from the inlet to the pump, and when I had the pickup off to clean it it seemed pretty loose - how does that thing really seal up?

If I discover excessive clearances, the option is pretty much to pull the engine, correct? Looks like I've discovered the reason the car was parked 40+ years ago.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 12:27
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall, the oil pump suction tube is a slide fit -- no O rings but not a lot of slop that it can suck air either.

Not to pick nits, but if you are going to drive the car much I do hope you have the hood secured when you do. I have seen more than one hood damaged because the latch wasn't secured and wind was enough that it whipped it loose and back.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 12:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
think you're right Howard, I don't recall seeing any o-rings. Something to check on while I'm in there again, though.

as far as the hood goes, not to worry - there was a cleverly hidden rubber tarp strap under there and with the limited area to drive top speed couldn't have been more than about 15mph. We didn't go through the gate and hit the highway

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:04
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Back in the old days it quite common practice to install slightly undersize bearings if the engine was worn. Packard offered .001 and .002 undersizes for the mechanic to install while doing ring jobs. There are many of these bearings still around and they will go along way to tidy up a sloppy bottom end without removing or machining anything. Oil consumption will also decrease as the amount of oil being slung around the crankcase will decrease.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I just didn't believe that oil pressure gauge, but I racked my brain thinking of just what I could have messed up when I reinstalled the oil pump - did I get the cover on 180 off? Could the body of the pump be installed wrong? No on all fronts, everything was as it should be. And I knew I was getting oil flow in the engine, the filter canister filled and the oil gauge line pumped oil when I'd bleed it.

So I pulled the gauge and gave it a little blast with the air nozzle - the needle stayed put at 0! Well that ain't right. To the store and back with another gauge, hooked it up and started the engine and - magic - oil pressure came right up to about 37 psi at idle. This is more like it.

Still have that knock, I pulled the plug wires one at a time and no change in the knock. I'm not sure what I eliminated with that test, but I think that tells me that I'm looking at a main bearing issue, correct?

Posted on: 2014/8/30 20:37
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Well Hans, I'm not sure why wiser men than I haven't chimed in yet, but since they haven't, I'll throw two cents. I can't imagine how you have a main bearing issue with 37 psi. Certainly not bad enough to hear. Perhaps the offending cylinder is "dead", and that's why pulling the plug wire didn't change the sound? Or perhaps the knock is coming from the valve train or a water pump bearing?

Posted on: 2014/8/31 16:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved