Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 73

Ross, Jack Vines, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks for the info gents! I thought that there might have been a newer replacement part installed on this car for once, oh well.

I managed to correctly reassemble the steering column, here's a taste of what is coming for the dashboard area.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.53 KB)
34001_546c200f2d5bb.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/11/18 23:44
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yep - my 51 the same, plastic not cloth covered.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
The last week has been busy, at work and at home. Kids came home from Minneapolis for Thanksgiving so that was great, and we went up to Grand Forks for the UND hockey games Friday and Saturday nights. Plus it is a bit chilly here, as many are experiencing.

I did get all the new wires run in the car, and I went through most of the switches and light sockets to clean them up and get ready to solder the new wires in. I sanded the dashboard front and back and primed it, painted the back white to enhance vision back there when working on things later - a tip from Ross Miller on this forum somewhere. I won't paint it the final color until I'm done fitting all the wires and connections.

I plan to take my ignition switch to a lock and key place to see if they can duplicate the missing ignition key, as I understand it the ignition and door keys are the same?

The cold affects me at work too, here's the view from 25,000 ft with a non-functioning heater, -50 deg outside. They always work in the shop, of course.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.92 KB)
34001_547bf3357d322.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/11/30 23:49
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...as I understand it the ignition and door keys are the same?

No, different keys. If you can remove the lock cylinders you often find the key number stamped on the tumbler assembly and once you have the number most good locksmiths can make the key from key-cutting databases that are common in the industry. I had a new key cut for my 56 by just giving the locksmith the key number. Have you looked for the key numbers stamped in ink on the backside of the patent plate? Not sure how long they continued that practice for.

Another possibility, Packard only used 250 different keys from 1935 to 1956; try keys from other Packard owners in your area and you may get lucky, folks who have had a number of Packards over the years often have a pile of old Packard keys.

EDIT: I may have been in error saying the door and ignition keys are different; that was the case in earlier years but may not be the case for your car.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 55 Clipper has a key for the ignition switch and door locks, and another for the glove compartment and trunk. This allows someone other than owner to drive the car (e.g., parking attendant), but stuff can be secured in the glove box and trunk. I would expect your '52 would be the same.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/1 11:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm working on cleaning up the instruments, other than lots-o-dirt I'm wrestling with the clock. I blew the dirt out and moved the winding mechanism, but it wouldn't stay running. Then I sprayed the works with LPS-1, blew the excess out and we're ticking away!

So I hooked it up to a power supply to see if it would wind itself, but once the points close nothing happens - some arcing but no movement. So I filed the points to clean them up, tried varying the voltage from as low as 5v up to 7v, but always the same result.

Anyone have some pointers to keep me ticking?

Posted on: 2014/12/4 23:49
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
With the points open, take an OHM reading from the case to the contact

Posted on: 2014/12/5 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Poked around with a meter on the clock yesterday over lunch, seemed like power was getting to the right spots. Then suddenly the clock started working, winding itself with power hooked up. No clue what magic I performed for this to happen, but hey - I'll take the credit.

Ran it for about 3 hrs this afternoon while I was working on cleaning up the gauge panel. The clock runs for about 50 seconds between each time the points close and it rewinds, the winder isn't moving full travel it seems. I read about someone else having this issue, but nobody ever seemed to chime in on how normal that is?

Posted on: 2014/12/7 0:11
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
The chrome on this car is so thin! I can hardly breathe on it trying to clean and I see the copper underneath. The joys of "war chrome".

All the chrome is a bit corroded, and the taillight housings and rear license light housing are pretty beat up from all the rear end collisions this car had, whatever happened to it. Maybe they were pushing it with a tractor, who knows. You can see how one of the taillights is twisted.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.94 KB)
34001_548675394bd21.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (38.63 KB)
34001_5486754a364f5.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/12/8 23:06
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if any of those pieces would be a candidate for some of Eastwoods products as a stopgap. Maybe the reflective chrome powder coat or the liquid chrome process would kind of duplicate the original look and repair the damage. Both products get good reviews so I've been curious if anyone here has tried either product and how they actually look.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 23:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved