Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 52 Packard 300
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Of the standard color schemes for the 1952 Packard 300s, what are your favorites? What would you recommend? The black and tan I have now is not original, I believe it was green on green. I considered that but the family is not a fan.

Here's my project blog:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=2092&forum=10

Posted on: 2015/8/21 19:22
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think the Packard maroon color looks especially nice on the senior cars. Dark and formal appearing, but with more interesting interaction with light than something darker.

(o{}o)

Matador Maroon Metallic - Paint Code U

Posted on: 2015/8/22 12:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Must say I kind of agree with the family on the greens. Some of Packards early 50s green colors and combinations were not that attractive. I really like one green though and that was the 54 Gulf Green metallic but it wasn't a 53 color.

I personally think those bodies look better in darker colors and am partial to darker shades of blues. Maroon is nice too. Whatever you choose has to go with the upholstery and the wife so unless either is up for change I'd say get a chart and let the family pick. That way they can't blame you.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I really like one green though and that was the 54 Gulf Green metallic but it wasn't a 53 color.

Gulf Green metallic was indeed a color for 1953, one of the standard colors for the Caribbean. It's in my listing for 1953 and noted as "limited production" which perhaps suggests it was only available in the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 12:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I stand corrected and was wrong on the year too. He is working on a 52.

I thought Gulf was a late intro or was reserved for the Caribbean. Don't recall seeing a 53 Caribbean in that color but do remember the 54 two tones. I only have one 54 chart where it is even mentioned and didn't find it in my 53 charts so good to know at least it was there for 53s.

I liked it well enough to have painted a 54 Pacific Gulf on the bottom and Bellevue on the top. The interior was factory Bellevue and, IMO that looked fairly decent on the top in combo with the Gulf.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.61 KB)
209_55d8bb0dde572.jpg 502X370 px

Posted on: 2015/8/22 13:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gulf Green was a very popular choice for the '53 Caribbeans. Photography and software may alter perception of color but this one is very true to the original color.

Lovely as it looks on a convertible, wouldn't be my choice for a sedan but with a white top it can look nice on a 2-door, as above.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.43 KB)
177_55d8daecd97f5.jpg 640X389 px

Posted on: 2015/8/22 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thank you all. I've always been a fan of maroon. The gulf green doesn't do it for me. I do like blue as well. Was there a black option?

Looking at the paint XREF provided by BigKev on this amazing site, I see that there is no black.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/PaintXRef/

The blue has metallic listed. Is that what you painted yours, Kevin?

1953 Yosemite Blue Metallic H, BH, HT Dupont BM 480. close match

otherwise here's the maroon.

1953 Matador Maroon Metallic U, UM, UT Dupont RM 198 close match

Correct?

Posted on: 2015/8/29 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think black has always been an option. It is code X and since it is basic black they just didn't bother to list it on a chart. You can find some of the unlisted combinations in the into section of the parts manual.

Greens are definitely not for everyone. Apparently even James Nance was not that crazy about them as some of his memos complaining of too many green 55 cars being built pointed out. I was kind of forced into it on the Pacific because I didn't want to change the interior. Chose the Gulf as the best of the lot for my taste

Packard did have some very nice blues so if that is where your interest lies I think you can probably find something appealing.

Maroons seemed to vary a bit year to year but are nice colors. Another interesting and pleasing combination is Sunset Red and Twilight Taupe. A friend painted his 52 2 dr sedan in those colors. The red is not red but more a hue of red and maroon leaning more toward the maroon.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 22:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thank you Howard. Do you have a picture of your friend's maroon and tan 52 2 door?

Posted on: 2015/9/9 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No, I don't have any photos of his car other than a couple of the dash and trunk lid. Lighting is poor on those. I'll see if he has anything handy but it may take awhile if he is away on a job.

It has been quite a few years since I last saw the car as it was coming out of the paint shop. IIRC, he painted it the standard Packard dark roof and light body. I know I wasn't that impressed looking at the paint chips when he first told me his wife had picked that combo but on the car it was much more pleasing.

Believe the Sunset Red and Twilight Taupe was a fairly popular combination so perhaps someone else has a photo. Of course if you liked either color alone you wouldn't have to do the dark roof and light body.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 9:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved