Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1938 Packard Twelve mystery shifter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Don't feel bad Kev, I thought you guy's looked just fine.

BTW, here's Petey's pic, straight from the PFH Ranch:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/8/13 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Pete: Talk about bad looks. I understand that you once took first and second place at an ugly gorilla contest. They found out that they judged the wrong end the first time around, when you pulled up your pants.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/13 20:27
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
lol....thanks Gents.

Now that I have side tracked this thread to hell, lets get back to the Mystery shifter!

Posted on: 2008/8/13 22:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
all right...all right..I confess...that is the special lever that operates the device that switches back between the V-12 and the "straight twelve" (now you know why so many people come up at auto shows and ask "didn't they make a straight twelve..."...? )

Posted on: 2008/8/17 11:21
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I was thinking perhaps it is a 007 James Bond device stolen from an Aston-Martin DB5 to eject the passenger seat in the event the driver got tired of being bored to death by a pedantic 1938 V-12 owner explaining how the car can't be converted to RHD.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
if you look, there is a silver ring around whatever it is. down on the bottom ofthe pic, it almost looks like there is another on the passenger side.

its a low mounted 'oh $h!t' handle, designed so that, aftr grabbing it, the terrified passengers are bent over , ready to pray.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 19:47
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Petey: Here is a picture of an in-line twelve cylinder that Packard did build.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (53.50 KB)
105_48a8d46ad3ae1.jpg 800X578 px

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:46
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pandamarie
See User information
My Grandfather had a 35 super 8 roadster with the same handle it was for a manual overdrive I belive it was a hono OD, His was right hand drive, brought it back from Jamacia and restored it back in the early 60s. he got caught up in Oregon with some other Packard people doing 110mph, Judge threw it out because he said those old cars couldnt go that fast, He still has the ticket but not the car. at 91 he is still doing good though.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Thanks for that fantastic photo - John.

Every time this issue comes up, I think back how astonished I was to have been proved wrong (when people would tell me there was such a thing as a "straigt" Packard Twelve, I would "poo poo" them and call them just plain wrong. I found it just about impossible to believe the Packard Engineering Dept. could have gotten involved in such utter nonsence (the technical/engineering reasons why a STRAIGHT Twelve would be totally useless for a production motor car have been beaten to death elsewhere).

My understanding about Packard priorites in their development shops, was that they knew they were a BUSINESS-oriented branch, involved in product development that made SENSE ...that might eventually produce REVENUE.

The idea of an "IN LINE" twelve cylinder engine was nuts. A total waste of time and valuable resources. I just dont understand it. Until John's research, and telling us about some author who had the photos, I simply wouldn't have believed it.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 6:45
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved