Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: First Production 1955 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Leeedy and 55Packardconv

Thanks. Leeedy I understand there was a 56 Packard and in theory that years models would start with 1001 but I think we can all agree that the Patrician appeals to us because it was the 1st of the last, meaning the last 2 years combined saw the 1st V8, torsion bars, styling theme, etc and this makes the Patrician special.

Had there been an all new 57 Packard with enough changes to differentiate it from the 55-56's then this discussion would be moot. After all, we don't care as much about any other years 1001.

I really enjoyed the analysis re: body color and Nance getting on production chiefs about single tones. THAT explains a lot and then to add the commentary about why it would be all Ivory is even more telling (re: dark colors show more defects).

That is what I was looking for.

White only came into being as a production color in the late 40's early 50's. By the way I think the car would look nice restored in white with some Packard spec wire wheels ala the Caribbean.

Finally, though some may disagree - I think the point about there being 4 or 5 1001 cars in 1955 means the seller should not be stating the Patrician was the 1st 1955 Packard made. This post does not even call it the 1st 1955 Packard. It states First Production 1955 Patrician.

Somewhere out there could be a 1001 400, Clipper, etc. Unlikely, but possible.

Finally, finally, as a follower of the Mark II Continental, their historian has done a fantastic job of documenting all 3000 or so of the Mark II's including a few mules and pre-production cars. Some of the pre-production cars survive and one was for sale last year and I attempted to buy it unsuccessfully.

Arguably, the Mark II Continental, made in 1956 and 1957 only, was well documented from the factory and the interested collectors have the data information from the factory and maintain a data base, now in an age when that is more recordable then ever.

I suppose some factory documentation either went up in smoke (literally) or was removed by workers in the Packard plant back in 1956. I find it hard to believe that factory documentation did not exist at one time for this (Patrician)car and every 1001 in 1955 and 1956.

Thanks again for the fine commentary. Keep it coming.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 17:07
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BryanMoran wrote:
JW
I just read the Cormorant Bulletin. I always wanted to do Salado. It will be a priority once I get a couple of Packards done.

The article made it sound as if Jeff is an active PAC member.

It was nice to get some press for the car, but as you know there was no mention of it being for sale.

Bryan, the Patrician is not at Jeff's shop. The Early Bird Tour from the Texas Packard Meet visited Jeff's shop on their Friday morning tour. Jeff was absent, judging a car show in Mexico City. As far as I know Jeff is not a PAC member, he just has an interesting place to visit when driving through the back roads of central Texas. Hard to believe that a small town of 1,100 folks has two big restoration shops. The Patrician is at Classic Street. Hopefully, my letter correcting the error will be published in the July issue of TPC.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/8 17:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

BryanMoran wrote:
Leeedy and 55Packardconv

Thanks. Leeedy I understand there was a 56 Packard and in theory that years models would start with 1001 but I think we can all agree that the Patrician appeals to us because it was the 1st of the last, meaning the last 2 years combined saw the 1st V8, torsion bars, styling theme, etc and this makes the Patrician special.

Had there been an all new 57 Packard with enough changes to differentiate it from the 55-56's then this discussion would be moot. After all, we don't care as much about any other years 1001.

I really enjoyed the analysis re: body color and Nance getting on production chiefs about single tones. THAT explains a lot and then to add the commentary about why it would be all Ivory is even more telling (re: dark colors show more defects).

That is what I was looking for.

White only came into being as a production color in the late 40's early 50's. By the way I think the car would look nice restored in white with some Packard spec wire wheels ala the Caribbean.

Finally, though some may disagree - I think the point about there being 4 or 5 1001 cars in 1955 means the seller should not be stating the Patrician was the 1st 1955 Packard made. This post does not even call it the 1st 1955 Packard. It states First Production 1955 Patrician.

Somewhere out there could be a 1001 400, Clipper, etc. Unlikely, but possible.

Finally, finally, as a follower of the Mark II Continental, their historian has done a fantastic job of documenting all 3000 or so of the Mark II's including a few mules and pre-production cars. Some of the pre-production cars survive and one was for sale last year and I attempted to buy it unsuccessfully.

Arguably, the Mark II Continental, made in 1956 and 1957 only, was well documented from the factory and the interested collectors have the data information from the factory and maintain a data base, now in an age when that is more recordable then ever.

I suppose some factory documentation either went up in smoke (literally) or was removed by workers in the Packard plant back in 1956. I find it hard to believe that factory documentation did not exist at one time for this (Patrician)car and every 1001 in 1955 and 1956.

Thanks again for the fine commentary. Keep it coming.

===============

Somewhere there is (or was) indeed a 1955 Four Hundred 1001, Caribbean 1001, Clippers 1001, etc. And this is not unlikely at all. Some of these vehicles are indeed known and certainly there are records that did not go "up in smoke." This stuff may not be on the internet, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Stating "first 1955 production Patrician" is certainly a valid thing to say. Nothing wrong with that. But this does not mean it was the first 1955 production Packard.

RE: the Mark II Continental... those were not done "at the factory" but in fact were done on their own separate and limited assembly line at Mitchell-Bentley... same place where 1953 and 1954 Packard Caribbeans were converted. By the way, one of the supposedly early Mark IIs is presently up for sale.

And maintaining a database for Mark II is a relatively easy matter. But when you flip the switch over to doing this same thing for Packard and Clipper for 1955 and 1956, you are talking about a very large number of vehicles, models and equipment. Big difference. Apples and watermelons. There, of course are roster keepers for these vehicles and I do believe one roster for V8 Packards is (or at least used to be) available via the Packard Club.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
The first 1955 Caribbean #5588-1001 was found by its current owner on a used car lot in New York in the 1960s. It still shows up at various shows in the Empire State.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
An interesting note is that the;

1st 55 Caribbean has an Dawson El Paso, Texas dealer tag on the trunk.
And
The 1st 55 Patrician now shows up in Texas.

Were these cars, dealer display/parade/car-a-van vehicles that were then sent to dealers that were starving for any Packards they could get?

Posted on: 2014/7/8 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
A fair question to ask since the model year introduction was in the middle of winter.

I would expect they would have sent them to California. El Paso in the fifties was not a booming affair. So there may have been some pull or payback reason for sending them to Texas.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 7:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
I've seen vehicles with much worse body and mechanical problems that have been completely restored - inside and out. Usually a project like that is a labour of love. Of course, you'll probably be upside down on most any Packard that requires such a restoration.

If it's only surface rust and not a lot of hidden rust-through, then this car certainly is salvagable. Not sure how long its gonna last outdoors in the TX clime, though.

However, unless you restore the matching engine and trans, I suspect whatever value it has as the first one off the line would drop dramatically.

This car could and should be restored to its full original detail as a historic piece, but a project of this magnitude is never gonna get off the ground with a four-figure selling price.

Mike, are you talking about the stainless piece that runs between the top of the fabric upholstery and the bottom of the door window finish molding at the rear of the door? I don't recall such a molding on the 55 Pat I once owned (sold it 20 years ago), and I can't find it on the parts book, either.

However, it does appear in a couple of photographic images (pp. 17-18) in the brochure PACKARD Presents Two Great Lines of Cars for 1955 - the one that kinda looks like a magazine or Sunday newspaper supplement. Interesting that other brochures for 55 seem to avoid views of that area. Meanwhile, other illustrations in that piece also show painted fresh air and heater control panel.

Then, there's a showroom scene (p. 6) with 55 Senior cars that have no ribbed stainless side trim (or lower spear molding), no script plates on the front fenders, no P-A-C-K-A-R-D letters on the hood, and a completely different style of wheel cover.

Of course, this piece is clearly an early announcement, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of things were still up in the air, going into the 11th hour. Interesting that some made it into production, however briefly.

Brian,

I've only read as far in this thread as your post quoted above, and it was the one I was waiting for after all the blather about what this car is "worth" that went before it. THANKS!

I don't know if the old car hobby has come down to just bucks, or what, but anything with the number "1001" on it is worth saving, in my book. It's a matter of the history of the marque, as in preservation of it, through the hobbiest, enthusiast, or archivist. If it's all about the dollars, there is no longer a hobby, there is an industry, and an industry only decides what something is "worth" rather than its value.

True, there are limits to what can be preserved, but this car has historic value, and it's in good enough shape to take care of... if someone has the money... which someone undoubtedly has. (Take a look in the Hagerty magazine regular feature: "This car matters." I think one could easily write a column on why this particular car matters, warts and all.)

Money matters, too, but besides staying within our budget and not being foolish, money spent on a car that matters to us (and others) is really secondary for most enthusiasts. I hope.

I don't know what came after your post on this thread, but I hope a discussion ensues about why a car like this is worth saving. It's evident that the company put some extra thought into how the first '55 Patrician was going to be optioned. This car represents the beginning of Packard's big push, and being the top-of-the-line 4-door, it was the flagship... gunboat?

BTW, the accent metal inside the door on '55s I remember had a "V" shape, as Packard was just crazy about putting "Vs" everywhere on the '55s. Anybody ever count them all, inside and out? Unreal, and part of the charm.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 23:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
The seller posted the car for sale on the AACA Packard Buy/Sell sub-forum which is where I found the car. JD in KC directed me here.

Through that forum I initiated an offer by PM to the seller. My offer was an amount that would cover his costs to remove the car plus some profit.

I will likely be rejected but being in central Iowa, my costs would be over $1000 to transport. As we know the car is an artifact, and therefore it would be essential to get that very early production V8 and transmission to retain it's interesting story and character.

That effort to place the engine back in the bay for transport would fall on a dealer-seller who probably doesn't care, after getting paid.

So we will see.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Offer rejected.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 8:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i recently saw it on craigslist with a cache of cars he has listed. i dont remember the price, but i do know that it'll probably be sitting where it is for quite some time.

also i remember seeing and almost buying the engine block to 5688-1001 on ebay about 2 years ago. it was priced at 500. i didn't buy it because i had stock 374 pistons and no telling if this block would need boring, rendering my new set of pistons useless.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 9:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved