The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

manmaxa, more...

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1955-56 fender mirror
Forum Ambassador
From Western Pennsylvania
Howard -

Personally, I have seen far more aftermarket mirrors than OE. While may look period-correct, I have also seen plenty of other styles from much later years, but those with a rectangular-shaped head look a bit out of character to me. In either case, I see more of these cars with side view mirrors mounted on the door body.

The placement of a radio antenna may have some impact on the decision. Although the factory template allows for a mirror to be mounted on the front fender in that case, the end result looks a bit crowded (to me).

The aftermarket mirrors that are presently mounted on the fenders of my Caribbean Hardtop have a screw and joint that allows the head to be rolled left-to-right, but I'm not about to mess with that after so many years - especially since I'm gonna replace 'em anyway.

The head of the factory-issue mirror can also be rolled a bit, and having them mounted further forward on the fender increases the field of view.

BTW, my dad once told me that he did not use the factory template when locating the mirrors on the fender, but eye-balled them for best view (whatever that means).

However, he recently added that the reason he went with fender mounting was for the view through the windshield - specifically, that the wipers kept that perspective clear of rain/snow (unlike the view through either front door window). Of course, that might not be much of a consideration for fair-weather only use.

Posted on: 7/16 10:41:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Terrebonne, OR
For 1956, did Packard and Clipper still use the belt-molding type mirrors that Ď51-Ď54 had? My 1956 Clipper which I hope to have running soon will need mirrors as it has none now and I donít want to use fender-mounted mirrors.

Posted on: 7/16 14:07:02

Packard / IMPERIAL page
CA DMV Licensed Vehicle VIN Verification

Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
No, the mirrors did not mount on the belt molding.

Posted on: 7/16 14:29:10

Forum Ambassador
From Western Pennsylvania
Don -

The 55-56 version could be mounted on the front fender(s) or front door(s). Refer to the factory template that Owen_Dyneto kindly provided earlier in this thread.

See my previous post #4 in this thread where the mirror (though this is the bad one I got form American Arrow) is mounted to the body of the front door - located per the factory template.

On cars with twin rear antennae, I just happen to prefer a pair of mirrors on the front fenders.

Posted on: 7/18 8:21:53

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
1917 Packard two-toned landaulet, back quarter collapsed, right elevation tilted up
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.