Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'28 5-26 Hood Removal / Installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Can someone with a similar car please explain to me how the top, center-line hinged section of their hood affixes to the vehicle? Someone has clearly rigged something on mine, and I don't know if I'm missing parts or not. I'd like to return it to original form and need to know how it's supposed to work. I can't find anything reveling in the service manual or after searching the forum.

On the firewall side, there's a pin that seats in the hole above where the radiator <-> firewall support strut affixes. On the front, however, I have a hole in the back of the radiator shroud and another hole on the front of the hood. I've wondered if I'm perhaps missing a pin? If so, though, I still can't figure how it goes together since there would be no way to insert or remove such a pin with the two pieces lined up (there's only about a 1/16" gap).

Do you have to disconnect the support strut, loosen the radiator and angle the shroud forward (all while holding the hood in place) in order to get a pin in both holes, and then tighten it up in place to bring things together? It seems like you'd need at least 3 people to make that happen successfully. If that's the process, I'll buy a case of beer and line up some helpers, but if anyone has experience with the process, I'd love to hear about it first.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/4/7 11:26
 Top  Print   

Re: '28 5-26 Hood Removal / Installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The hinge pin that engages the firewall bracket is a short spring loaded pin that can be moved forward against the spring to disengage the firewall bracket and allow removal of the hood.
There is a slot in the hood hinge at the rear of the hood to accomodate a small stud which is screwed at 90 deg. into the spring loaded pin. This is used to slide the spring loaded pin forward, out of the firewall bracket.
I hope that makes sense.
Without the spring loaded piece at the rear the radiator must be loosened and tilted forward.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 16:18
 Top  Print   

Re: '28 5-26 Hood Removal / Installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Thanks DavidM! I'm missing the described components, but should be able to fabricate serviceable replacements. Thanks for the description.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 16:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved