Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 145

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, Larry Reber, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chev drivetrain swap on these cars?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
We're finally getting around to our packard... Cylinder compression tests show that cyl 1 has about 90, cyl 6 has about 50, and the other 6 cylinders have 0...

At this point, we don't even know if the auto trans is any good and I'm wondering if swapping out to a fuel injected drive train would be a better option?

Anyone here ever do this?

Posted on: 2014/4/10 6:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Chev drivetrain swap on these cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2014/4/10 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
a valve stuck open is not unheard of on a car out of storage, and give zero compression on the cylinder.
not a serious issue

to be as neutral as possible,in case of resale, a Chevy driveline means that the car will be of no interest to most Packard folks, but would be instead marketed to the generic rod crowd, IMO

Posted on: 2014/4/10 14:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Your car obviously, so do as you wish.

But for the most part once replace the Packard motor with something non-Packard, you really kill the value in the car. Most everyone that I see at car shows likes that I have the original motor in it, and not just another SBC swap. They are getting as cliche as fuzzy dice on the mirror.

The Straight 8 motor parts are plentiful and they pretty simple to take apart and rebuild. I guess you have to ask yourself what is your long term goal for the car. If you want to make a hot rod out of it, then sure what the motor. If you are looking to restore it, or keep it working and looking original, then rebuild the motor, or replace it with a good working one.

Posted on: 2014/4/10 14:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
I was in the same boat a few months ago. I have since reconsidered and decided to stay with the I8 engine. I had the same compression issues - took the head off and found sticky valves. Got 'em all freed up. Gonna lap the valves in, slap it back together and see how the compression is. Like Kevin says, your car, your project. Realize either option will take work, time and $$, each about the same.

Posted on: 2014/4/10 15:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
To second what bkazmer said with that many cyls with no comp
it just about has to be some stuck valves, it sure didn't run
that way before. Those valves probably weren't stuck until you tried to turn it over, the springs just won't quite pull
them shut, these heads are really pretty easy to pull, a good
chance if you GENTLY tap them shut a few time and spray under them a few times with a penetrating oil they will start to work, then you can put it back together with the old gasket
and no coolant to try the comp test again, really 90 lbs on an engine that has been sitting a while isn't all that bad,
maybe the rest of the cyls are in about the same shape.
If this doesn't work at least you aren't out a lot of money for new parts, just some time.Just my .02

Posted on: 2014/4/10 16:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Simple question for you to ask yourself, do you want a Packard or a mongrel?

Posted on: 2014/4/10 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Howdy there,

I was considering doing an engine swap with my car a few years ago but with Ford drivetrain. I was convinced by the guys here on this forum to give the straight 8 a chance, and I am very glad I did. It is a pretty solid engine that required very little work to get running.

As others have suggested; take the head off and check to make sure the valves are moving their full motion, freely. I see very little reason why that engine shouldn't fire up for you.

Here is the thread I posted a few years ago:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6939&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/4/10 19:55
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
ha, HA, HAAA! These projects take long enough than to spend more time to debate the motor. They're a little more sympathetic to swopping on the modifications page but not much... HP/weight - 130/800 - how can anyone honestly say they're much more than boat anchors??? Torque is sufficient. Quiet, smooth running, etc. but HP/wt?
I guess we need a fix for the L8 to push the ponies up to modern standards, but that's why they dumped this design, the crankenstein is tooooo long for it's diam. It has to get bigger in diam. to handle more power.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
If the engine is beyond all hope and there's not one for sale near you for you to swap over and drop in, and it's what you want, more power to you, I guess.

But be different! Go with a Rotary Packard! Or an Electric-Packard!

I know when I walk around car shows, I like seeing the old cars, different cars, but if I look under the hood and see an LS something sitting in there, I just go "ah, ok, nothing to see here" and move on.

A Packard with an RX8 engine would definitely be a conversation starter though. Or an RB26DETT Or even a BMW 330i engine.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 16:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved