Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Ignition System Problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...and the cell specific gravity test will show an undercharged condition. Am I correct?

It will show the fullness or completeness of charge in each cell individually, and thus will also show a weak or failing cell. For example, if one cell shows a specific gravity less than the others and it (the specific gravity) does not increase with continued charging, the cell is failing. Likewise the failure of all cells to reach a full-charge specific gravity with continued charging indicates a failed battery.

Some guidelines, measurements at room temperature:

1.275 or higher - fully charged
1.250 - 1.225 - marginal, needs charging or battery failing
1.210 or less - battery "dead" and may or may not respond to charging. If the gravity fails to rise with continued charging the cell has failed.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Since it runs then dies, the spark and carburetor are OK - at least for a while. Check the charging system. The electric fuel pump might not run (enough) if the voltage drops too much. Starves out for fuel. Once line gets empty may not prime on it's own.
If the voltage regulator got hurt jumping it, that might be one place to look. Polarity, etc. the relay coils can get too hot and cause issues. It's thin wire. May not charge (voltage reg), the battery goes down, and stalls out.
Electrical doesn't like heat, so check if anything else is getting hot after it runs a bit, like a wire (corrosion) or other electrical part.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 19:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
OK, put in a new condenser, 6v battery, filed the points, but still no start. This while spraying starter fluid into the carburetor. Talk about frustration.

I am confused by the wiring of the coil. It has a new wire and connectors from the small (+) terminal of the coil to the side of the distributor, this along with another new wire that I think was connected to the same coil (+) terminal. This is one that I cannot find in the wiring diagram. The diagram only shows ONE wire from the coil (+) to the distributor. There is another wire from the coil (-) terminal to what I assume is the coil terminal of the ignition switch. The extra coil (+) wire doesn't run the electric fuel pump as I left it disconnected and when the ignition key was turned, and fuel pump switched ON, the fuel pump still operated.

There are NO OTHER ADD-ONS to the car, but it does have the R-11 overdrive unit. What could this other wire to the coil (+) be?

Posted on: 2014/4/18 13:31
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Overdrive kickdown ign cut out circuit on the R11 would be a wire from one of the top two terminals on the kickdown switch to the distributor side of the coil. It could be connected either at the coil or on the dist terminal. If something has happened and the OD cut out is staying grounded that could certainly cause your problem.

One other thing is with some distributors there is a small wire from the outside terminal to the points connection inside the dist. The old insulation has a habit of disintegrating and then falling off if disturbed. If you have that small 2-3" fabric covered flex wire inside the dist, another thing to look at and make sure it has not grounded. Frequent places are under the advance plate where it passes thru a little guide and near the point/condenser connection.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 13:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks Howard,

That makes perfect sense, along with my disturbing the wiring inside the distributor. I'll re-connect the extra wire to the coil (+) terminal and check the wires inside the distributor. Before I attempt any of this I'm gonna take a nap, maybe that'll help

Posted on: 2014/4/18 14:17
Bob

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'm now at the point where I usually give up! I've installed a new battery, coil, condenser, and filed (burnished) and reset the points, but still NO START. I've checked the wiring and made sure that there was no contact with any distributor plates or body and the wires

Could I have done something to the OD Kick Down switch (maybe with the 12v connection or could the switch have been the source of the humming noise)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 17:44
Bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can totally eliminate the OD question by temporarily removing that second wire connected to the coil terminal. One wire will go to dist and, if they are separate connectors, the other will go to one of the terminals on the top row of kickdown switch (row away from plunger end). Just let that wire hang. If both wires are crimped together and share the same connector at the coil, ohm it out and disconnect at the kickdown switch. Let it hang but make sure it does not touch ground.

Once that wire is disconnected it eliminates any possible problem with OD switches. I would check just the spark next. I do it methodically by making sure it is present and good without the distributor in the picture but you may have a different method.

For my method I disconnect the wire from low voltage coil terminal at dist and position or hold the high voltage wire end about 1/8" away from the block. With ign on, touch the low voltage wire coming from coil to the block or a good ground and see if there is a spark when you pull it away from block. Hold the wire itself or if you want to hold the connector, use gloves because the back emf can be fairly healthy if you are touching the metal connector. It will not be a big fat blue spark like modern cars but should be yellowish orange and sufficient to jump 1/8-3/16 or so without any difficulty.

If you have that, then connect the low voltage wire back to dist and crank the engine to check the spark. It should be equal to what you saw when manually touching the wire to block. If all that is good, something else is causing the no start. If you have no spark at a test then depending on which test failed, something is amiss in the coil/dist circuit and we need to figure out which.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 18:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I think that I found a problem within the distributor. After removing the dist. cap, I noticed that there is coil coating the inside of the distributer. I figure that isn't normal as oil isn't conductive and the spark couldn't make it through. What can be the cause of this oil and how can I stop this oil incursion (a seal, or bushing on the distributer shaft)?

Posted on: 2014/5/1 21:26
Bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are 5 or 6 places in a distributor that require regular lubrication but very sparingly as, as you note, excess oil shortens point life. There are no seals, I'd say someone just oiled it to excess at some point. Why not just remove the distributor and give a thorough cleaning and check-up.

You might find this useful:http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=861

Posted on: 2014/5/1 22:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Could the whining noise be your electric fuel pump? The problem is either fuel or electrical. After it quits do the 2 things below;

1) with the air cleaner removed look inside the carburetor & work the throttle - you should see gas being injected into the intake manifold. If not then your problem is either the pump (measure gas pressure at carburetor) or the carburetor.

2) remove a spark plug wire and check to see if you have spark while attempting to start the car. If there is none then look for a loose or bad connection and frayed wires shorting out.

I would clean the distributor first and make sure that I had a good battery before proceeding with anything.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/5/2 8:31
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved