Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What a car. !! (47 Clipper)
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
We drove around yesterday in our new addition, 47 Clipper Deluxe, and had a great time. Went to the local cruise in, which had a record number of cars show up, and had lots of compliments on the Packard. We drove around this morning and ended up putting 108 miles on it. The more I get used to it, the better I like it. It stops on a dime, even better than my Hudsons. I guess I'll start looking for an overdrive trans. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/13 14:57
 Top  Print   

Re: What a car. !! (47 Clipper)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TanTank
See User information
Have you thought about a gear swap? Soooo much easier than an overdrive conversion. Same results cruising on the highway.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
any suggestions on who sells the gears? I'm considering adding a R11 overdrive to my 39 120, and it should be interesting to compare the two. I have the transmission and O/D, but do need to go thru it.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Richie
If you decide you want an R11 overdrive unit, we have one that comes with the solenoid and relay. You may need to get a governor, but they are readily available. Also, you'll need to get a lockout cable, which is also available.

Free delivery possible to the Atlanta area, but not immediate.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 3:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
West Peterson, can you PM me with a price, free delivery sounds pretty good. Thanks, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
PM sent.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 12:33
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
TanTank, that is something to consider, but I'm thinking more along the lines of overdrive right now. Thank you for your suggestion, I appreciate it. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 15:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TanTank
See User information
any suggestions on who sells the gears? I'm considering adding a R11 overdrive to my 39 120, and it should be interesting to compare the two. I have the transmission and O/D, but do need to go thru it.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:16:11

Unfortunately, I do not know of any new suppliers. Correct me if I am wrong but the 3rd member remained unchanged for years and there were quite a few choices on gear ratios. As a rule of thumb, the early automatic cars had a better highway gear.

That said, compare the two? How about combine the two? Talk about a different car! I have done this conversion and it's kind of fun buzzing past a new Lexus or BMW at slightly above highway speed. I'm not saying I can out run anything but you get a funny look from everyone involved when you can pass them running 70 all day long without pushing the rpm to the limit. That along with my gas mileage improving is enough for me to add some advice.

Richie,
Sounds like West Peterson has most of the OD conversion covered. Good info to have. Don't forget about the drive shaft swap and the wiring. I can send you a simple wiring diagram and a supplier for cloth wiring if you want to wire it yourself.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
TanTank, that would be very helpful as I will do the job myself. Thank you very much. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 21:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TanTank
See User information
Here is the link for the cloth wiring...
http://www.magnetoparts.com/wire.htm

Now a question for West Peterson. Does your overdrive cable have a built in switch like the factory unit in my 49? If so, I want one. Can you give us some more info?

Posted on: 2014/4/16 7:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved