Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine stand question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Has any one used a store bought engine stand for their 50's era L8? I have a harbor freight unit that has a hard time with a modern small block V8 and I know it will fail with the weight of an assembled L8 hanging off it but I really don't want to build a custom one if I don't have to, any tips?

Posted on: 2014/4/13 22:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine stand question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
While you still have the engine hanging on a cherry picker but hooked to the engine stand, simply cut off a good 2x4 so that it rests on the block or balancer and the other end on the front leg of the stand, i.e. vertical support. Then, no problemo. I've done this with Packard V-8s which are heavier than the L8. Oh, also use Grade 8 bolts to attach it to the other end.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 0:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Thanks for the info, I was thinking it needed some support on the other end I was considering using two stands or fabbing some kind of rotisserie setup but 2x4 sounds much easier. You say the V8 is heavier than the L8? what are the weights on each if you have the info available, I was told (don't remember where)that the L8 was close to a thousand pounds assembled, seemed high but the engine does look very heavy.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 1:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hold the L8 engines by the side. On the 51-54 engines use the rear two bolt holes for the engine mount "wing" plus the two that are just below the dipstick. Make a paper pattern off the engine and use it to drill the plate of your engine stand to match.

If working on an earlier L8, I have a long piece of heavy angle iron I bolt to the pan rail using every bolt hole as they are small. The angle iron then bolts to the engine stand.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.87 KB)
618_534bc39159fb4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/4/14 6:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ross. Do u side mount the engine just for storage or can it be turned upside down on the pivot while rebuilding too.?????
My el-cheapo stands are so short vertically that i doubt tne S8 would clear the bottom of the stand while rotating.
Only other possibility is to use 2 identicle in height engone stands. One at the front snd one at the rear.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 7:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Good advice here. For my 352, I also pickup up a Harbor Freight. I replaced all the bolts with a good quality Grade 8 and I also welded braces alone the base and upright. right out of the box, it flexed and the engine bounced. It is now solid as a heavier duty. Harbor freight has some economical items but you sometimes need to speed a little time beefing them up.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 10:17
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My stand is tall enough to flip it over--just do some carefull measuring. I can pretty well guarantee you will not like 2 stands as their axis will probably not be parallel and so the engine will not flip anyway. Plus the stand will be in the way of everything you want to do at the front--timing cover, chain, etc. Better to get one decent stand and modify it to suit.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 12:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I modified an engine stand to be adjustable in length and an adjustable support for the front pulley

Attach file:

jpg  (130.46 KB)
1052_534c28ec723d8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.87 KB)
1052_534c290857329.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/4/14 13:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved