Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 110

37Blanche, JD in KC, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Added insulation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Debating best place to add thermal (mostly) foil type insulation to the doors. Believe some have added behind the door panel for convenience. Am wondering if that is the best place or would there be more benefit if it went all the way inside the door directly on the metal door skin?

With mostly sound insulation material (like Dynamat), I believe most mfgs recommend a piece attached to the metal to eliminate the drumming. Those usually have some kind of really sticky heavy rubber material. If using a foam core foil insulator which is supposed to help sound but is mostly thermal, what would you do.

Attachment is another question. Think the typical spray on stuff is out of the question if going directly to the door metal -- mostly because it is not weatherproof and there is already some of the old asphalt stuff on the inner doors. Would you use a mastic and if so, what type or have another suggestion.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Added insulation
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
you don't say what year and model, but based on what i saw on a 41, thermal was inside the roof. The door looks more acoustic, and stuck to the inside of the door skin. Acoustic works mainly on mass, thermal on stagnant air.
Insulating sheet, foil on one side only, 3M adhesive with type and application as they advised work on roof.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 13:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's a 47 and mostly thermal because I'm adding AC. The roof and floor have already had the EZ Coolhttp://www.lobucrod.com/ product added. The only photo I see on their site shows the foil on the compartment or passenger side of the door. I am thinking that may be mostly convenience because they were not apart and modern doors do not have great access or lots of space to work inside anyway.

Mine are totally open at the moment so want to do the insulation before glass and associated frame pieces go back in if it would be better on the door skin. Just looking for opinions on which would work best keeping the hot out or cold in.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Seems like a poly based seam sealer or something like it would work. I gather it is really sticky and weatherproof. My body guy swears by the stuff. He calls it "Polyseamseal", and he often sprays it as undercoating on frame off restorations.
Mark

Posted on: 2014/4/14 13:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check out Lizard Skin. It's a spray in insulator. I think that would be perfect for the inside of doors. It may work similar (and better) to whatever Packard originally sprayed on the inside of the doors.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 14:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the factory "AC pkg" material was a quilted material. The single foil sided sheel will be at least as effective. Again the door material was on the inside of the door skin, behind the window mechanism, and was sonic as much as thermal. The door panel itself makes a thermal barrier, as well as creating an air spece inside the door. I'd focus on the roof and floor. The jute and carpet will insulate there.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
there is an accessory you may want to scare up or copy - a venetian blind for the rear window. I saw a 47 Clipper with one.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Like bkazmer noted, the most effective efforts would be spent on tinting or shading the glass.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
there is an accessory you may want to scare up or copy - a venetian blind for the rear window. I saw a 47 Clipper with one.

There is an idea. Finding an original in good condition could probably get interesting though. The glass is all clear so I would need to find some of the old 50's window shades or clip on sun screens to go with it. Anyone remember the sun screens? Very thin metal with rows of slits maybe a 1/16" wide by 1/2" long.

Here is the venetian blind from the 46 accessory brochure. I think Packard's copywriter is optimistic about the full vision being maintained at all times -- unless they are adjustable. Think a short driver might have different needs and angle on the slats than a tall one. Guess it doesn't matter though. The window is so small and high, looking to the rear is not that great to start with.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.31 KB)
209_534c8eb032cd2.jpg 506X443 px

Posted on: 2014/4/14 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks like the blinds are drawn closed in this illustration. Probably have good rearward vision with the blinds in a horizontal position.

(o{}o)

Second look makes me think the blinds are in a horizontal position with a badly focused outside view through them. I wonder if a commercial blind maker could make up a custom set?

Posted on: 2014/4/14 21:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved