Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Packard 180 Touring Sedan for Sale
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Hello All,

last week I went and took a look at this car. It is a driver and in pretty good shape.

http://volocars.com/inventory.php?search

This 180 came out of an estate in Wisconsin. They are asking $37900 for the car. What do you all think? There are many pictures in the dealer listing link above. Somewhere along the way, an aftermarket A/C was installed along with a stereo. Car has been converted to a 12 Volt system. Interior was also redone many years ago. (just OK result) Given what you can see, what is the consensus on the price? Seems like a great deal considering it is a 180. Pwr windows work, full wood window surrounds are in great shape. No center glass divider or jump seats though there is a pull down door in the front seatback containing the foot rests.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 12:31
Rob Troxel
1941 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 180 Touring Sedan for Sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Nice enough '40 160 but still a model down from the 180 I saw

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:07
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is kind of disappointing on that fine a car it would appear they just threw in the AC and sound. Call me picky but the underdash evaporator unit is too modern looking and size is out of proportion to the mounting area. I know they could do better with a more appropriate look and size if it was installed in the last few years. Wonder if that was an old install and is all they could get at the time or just went with the cheapest.

The bracket seems reasonably well done but compressor drive is strange. The pump is bronze like a 54 but pulley on water pump is not the 54 AC version -- nor do I believe with the long snout, the 41 version either. Looks like a long belt is running everything but can't decide if it has 41's single wide belt or two belts extremely close together.

We won't discuss the hanging radio or large speakers on the package shelf. If someone buys the car expect there would be a lot to contemplate on what to restore or revise.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Well you summed up my feelings pretty well. A little (or a lot) of unwinding the "improvements" Still the pricing seems low.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:10
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Basically, in my opinion, that is high retail for a car in a condition that at best is considered to be a Class 3- (3 minus out of 6, six being a parts car) --- (not taking into account the condition of the engine). The engine itself is a HUGE factor in its value, because they cost so much to overhaul.

Speaking of the engine, I'd bet my last dollar that the one in that car is from a 1940 model, based on the oil line from filter to block, lack of breather tube, oil filler tube cover, and air cleaner. At that price, the engine compartment should look much nicer than that, not to mention the engine should at least be painted the proper color.

While it looks very nice from a distance, once you look inside I find your opinion that the upholstery is "okay" is a little stretch of the imagination.

All that negative aside, and at the right price, I wouldn't mind having the car as long as I could be assured that the engine wasn't going to need a rebuild soon after I got it home. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in it unless it was around the $25,000 range. But then, you're trying to buy from a dealer and a price drop that huge will probably never happen.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

This would be a no-brainer. The 1940 160 advertised in Hemmings is a MUCH nicer car for what I would consider a reasonable amount of money. Again, all is based on the condition of the engine (the same engine in both cars).
If it were my choice, I wouldn't take a second longer to decide and pick the 1940.
PLUS, the 1940 has OVERDRIVE!!!

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:22
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
West,

I appreciate your reality check on the 180. No overdrive is a big deal for this car. I would need a professional opinion on the engine as well. Given that this is a dealer car, I too doubt the price would drop enough to cover the fixes needed. Incidentally, the upholstery job would get you by but the more I look at it, I'd have to replace that very soon too. Thanks Rob

Posted on: 2014/4/15 13:32
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
And once you've done the upholstery and overhauled the engine, you've dipped into the checking account for an additional $15,000 or more. And that only improved the condition rating of the car from a 3- to a 3. So, you have $50 large in a car that may be worth $35-$40.

I REALLY like that Arizona 1940. That is a Super 8 also, and in 1940, the differences between the 160 and 180 were relatively minor. The big question is the engine. Also, it looks very sleek without the sidemount fenders. If someone were to assure me that the engine was good, and if I had some extra money, I'd be all over that one.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 14:24
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My $0.02 worth. These 41/42 conventional-bodied Senior cars are in constant demand for an obvious reason, they are mechanically refined, highly roadworthy, and worthy successors to the big prewar Senior Packards before them. I don't see the lack of OD as that much of an issue though of course that depends on what you intend to do with it; without it these cars can and do cruise rather effortlessly at 65 mph and I don't know that we should be doing much more than that with 70+ year old cars. For my tastes, the sound and air would have to go, and the interior is really awful and worthless and would have to go, and that's about a $10K tab to do well. So to me, assuming good mechanicals, its overpriced by at least $10K.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 14:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved