Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Need advice on car value '51 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
with this much bondo just a parts car

Posted on: 2014/4/18 1:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The acrylic mouse fur interior is of course not original, but highly servicable. I have one in my 200 as there is no way to justify upholstering it properly.

Much more worrying is that rear quarter bottom seems to have been sculpted rather than repaired. Too much plastic surgery!

My rule of thumb is always go and have a look to put your own mind at ease, but the strategy if you want it is let him sit on it for a loong time. As much as we like them, the audience for these cars is really small. I'll bet its not going anywhere.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 6:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks again guys. I had this car sold in my head so I know I was not making rational decisions. With his attitude change toward me (I must have been hitting too many buttons with the cars issues where he knows I will give him a "low ball" offer) I'm going to wait and see. I think Ross is right that he needs to hold onto it for a long time to get to it's true value. Maybe this really is not the right car for me? I have all the pieces to make it right, but how far way am I from just pouring bondo all over my current car and have the same thing? I do not see any other '51s for sale in this price range or near me. I guess I will keep looking and maybe keep practicing on my current car. I'm afraid if I do go to see it, either it will be a wasted trip or I will talk myself into getting it and paying too much or ending up with another rust bucket. Then again, if it was much cheaper, I could buy a patch panel for the rear fender and try to fix it. See how bad I am at this!!!

Posted on: 2014/4/18 7:10
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
BTW where does one get "acrylic mouse fur interior" for these cars?

Posted on: 2014/4/18 8:25
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
why from acrylic mice of course.

Seriously, I often wonder at this so-called economy. Most of the cost of upholstery is labor. The difference in materials cost for seats between wool broadcloth and polyester blend from JoAnn Fabrics is probably around $300. That's a swag assuming about 5 yards at $20 vs $80/yard.

If the budget is tight, consider some period-look seat covers for now.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Might be a mute point if I find a car with good upholstery, but I wwould like to know who sells these acrylic seat covers. I would be totally happy with it in my car but would investigate if it could be modified so it does not cover the back of the seat and retain the ashtray. Where did you gets yours from Ross?

Posted on: 2014/4/20 10:17
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Not sure exactly, but I think The upholstery in my Clipper which is pretty much not authentic, but similar to what Ross has in his car might be From Kanter.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 14:28
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved