Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 77

Packard Don, Bob J, J-Dreamer, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New guy. With a 2202 I beleave 1949 super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
I just bought a 1949/1948 packard super 8' the name plate says built 12/24/1947, with other number, my question is, how do I find out what I have,
It's 100% complete! motor turns! goes in gear! seems solid.

Any help would be thankful,
I also have a build blog, can I post the link here???

Attach file:

jpg  (73.84 KB)
47971_534f1c54ec9d9.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (73.84 KB)
47971_534f1c86f3422.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 19:13
 Top  Print   

Re: New guy. With a 2202 I beleave 1949 super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Under the hood on cowl is a plate with the info. The 22 is the series designation which ran from '48 into early '49. If it's a '49, it will have a -9 after the 2202 -9 . The 02 is the model. Look up model #'s on this site. Go to 22 series page. It will give all the info.
I believe (from memory) the number after the 2202 (-9)- would be the manufacturing sequence and the whole number would be what most states call the VIN but Packard didn't refer to it that way.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also check the motor number. That will tell you the particulars and from that you can determine if the car has the original engine and if it was the standard or optional engine. If the engine has been changed over the years it will also tell you what year it came from and its size. You can find the engine information here.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardEngineSerials.pdf

You can also download the introduction to the 48-54 parts manual.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Intro.pdf Starting 3 or 4 pages in is the list of designations telling you what Packard called a particular model by the body number and what chassis it is on. If needing mechanical parts from one of our vendors you will generally need to know the chassis number for most of those parts and the body number as listed on the patent plate for most body and trim items. A few more pages in is the paint and upholstery codes. Those should also be on the patent plate if the car is not one of the early production cars.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 20:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
A little black plate only has 2272-3651' and embossed in bigger font above it (<757925>) this is above the heater core
Stamped in side of motor g406220
Stamped on top is the big word packard and under it 889779327
Are any of the numbers above help??

Attach file:

jpg  (127.20 KB)
47971_534f33f0db3b6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The little plate is the Briggs Body tag and was installed by Briggs when they built the body. The official Packard number would have been on a large roughly 6" square plate under the hood on the drivers side of the cowl.. If that is missing then the Briggs tag will have the same body number (first 4 digits 2272 = 6 pass Super 8 sedan) but the other 4 digits is the sequence number telling where in production approximately that model was built. The Briggs # may be a few to a few hundred different from the official number.

The large embossed numbers are what we all the "thief Proof number" and while is of interest to one of our posters who is compiling a database, is not of much other use because most of the Packard records of the numbers have been lost. It is the only number on the car that is permanent though.

The engine number G40xxxx says it is a 48 327 with 5 mains and solid lifters as for the Super 8.. If there is a H stamped on the pad it would have had the optional hydraulic lifters.

If the patent plate is gone some have had extreme luck and good fortune to have found the build slip taped on top of the glovebox or folded and wedged between the gas fill and vent pipes a few inches below the gas fill door. If there is no other paperwork such as old registrations, that build slip would be the only other chance of finding the official number and how the car was originally equipped.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Thanks
The name plate was on it, nut in very poor condition.
I made out the word Dallas, the date 12/24/1947.
A number like 2273, I can tell there are other numbers but can't make all out.
I have it at school, to see if any one can clean and read.
So do you think It's a 1948??? That would make since with the build date

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those items mean it was sold in Dallas and the date it was sold not the build date. Being sold in 47 and with the fairly early engine number to go with it would make it an early 22nd series or a 48. The plate should be 2272-xxxx to match the Briggs tag first 4 digits as there was no 2273.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
So my car was a Christmas gift, that's cool.....
As for the 2273, the plate is very hard to read...

So I guess I can now say I have a 1948 packard

What other numbers do I Need to start buying parts, I need floor pans and trunk pan... Other the. That is it's i. Great condition for almost 70..

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 2272 body is on the 2202 chassis so those are the primary numbers you will need. The engine is a 327 so that would be the other info most likely needed. Otherwise it is just a matter of downloading the parts, service and owners manual or buying reprints from one of the vendors if you prefer paper.

Your primary parts sources for new are Kanter Autohttp://www.kanter.com/packard/ Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ Patrician Industries thru packard1's ebay storehttp://stores.ebay.com/packards1 and a couple of others for used parts.

The only repro steel I know offhand is by Classic to Currenthttp://c2cfabrication.com/ either thru their website or they also sell on ebay. The pieces are not perfect drop in repros and will require some massaging but serve the purpose.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Shane(Smann),
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '48 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 23:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved