Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stupid question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
What is this??? Photo below.

Is it an overdrive?? If so is that like cruse control??
If not what is it and what does it do, I have 3 on the tree!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (90.22 KB)
47971_534f36216cc82.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Stupid question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
That looks like an electromatic clutch devise. If you have a red pedal that's what it is.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:09
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
The peddle is black
Here's a better pic

Attach file:

jpg  (85.49 KB)
47971_534f38fd3fb09.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (102.97 KB)
47971_534f3943de809.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
There's no such a thing as a stupid question! You're working on a vehicle that's most likely older than you or your dad!

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:22
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a vacuum operated clutch. There is a knob on the dash labeled Clutch or Electromatic to turn it on. Chances are it is not functioning and could be disconnected or parts missing. If it is all there it could probably be made workable and is quite the conversation piece. You could turn it on or off as desired so the car will work perfectly well if it is non operational as long as there is no vacuum leak.

In operation, the theory was you could start the car and almost never have to touch the clutch. The vacuum would work the clutch as needed depending on speed, throttle position and gear selected. In practice it was somewhat temperamental and relied on good adjustment and some conservative driving.

If you have an OD there will be a round knob below the dash edge just to the right of the steering column. That is pulled out to lock the overdrive out for conventional 3 speed and pushed all the way in to turn OD on and make it available when the car is going above about 20mph.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
It seems to be all there, the knob is under the dash, there's a cable running from a big canister by shock to I guess the trans, and the gas peddle rod runs through it, and it has a switch with a spring on firewall, all is connected.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.02 KB)
47971_534f3e4c2e98f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.79 KB)
47971_534f3e73a24d5.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
I never thought of it that way...

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/4/16 21:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Ok so I cleaned the car, and the clutch peddle is red,
So is this something I should rebuild, and make work, or is it more trouble then it's worth???

Posted on: 2014/4/21 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is unique and unless you completely remove all the pieces, your friends will probably ask about it -- and if it is working, maybe even be suitably impressed at what they did in days before automatic transmissions were common. IMO, it would be nice to have it working for show and tell even if operation is not perfect at first. If you get comfortable with it then make it perfect. Adjustments do have to be made carefully and properly so that is the troublesome part. And, if you choose not to use it you can always turn it off once show and tell is over so it won't hinder normal driving.

You might download the training manual and see what you think on the operation and check that everything is therehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchTrainingManual.pdf

The common failure items which usually got them disabled are the rubber bellows -- which is now available from Steele -- and the wire rope which is available from Kanter and maybe other vendors. One problem on getting it operational will be your conversion to 12v. There is a solenoid built into the control unit that is 6v. Nothing else could substitute so that incompatibility will have to be addressed.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 23:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved