Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Caribbean Convertable top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
How is the convertible top being attached at the back,the trunk panel on the 1955 Caribbean and where is it attached. Think there might be some metal strips that might be sewn into the top to strengthen it. I wonder if there is any other hardware besides the stainless steel strip that holds the cover (Tonneau) when the top is down? Any help and information on that is appreciated.
Walter

Posted on: 2014/4/17 6:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Caribbean Convertable top
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard convention for most all convertibles including Packard going back decades, the top fabric is tacked to a "tacking strip". The tacking strip is a kind of hard composition fiberoid-type material which in turn is riveted (and perhaps sometimes additionally crimped) to the steel body panel around the perimeter of the rear of the top well. I don't have a picture showing that but perhaps someone else will.

Posted on: 2014/4/17 8:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thanks for the information.... and it would be great if someone has a close up picture of it and post it here. Like that I can better see how that is properly attached.
Thanks, Walter

Posted on: 2014/4/17 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Walt,
You want a picture of the tack strip that is at the back of the top well?
Is that correct?

That tack strip for the 55 should be the same as the ones that are on all the 51-54 convertibles. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Posted on: 2014/4/17 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Walt wrote:
How is the convertible top being attached at the back,the trunk panel on the 1955 Caribbean and where is it attached. Think there might be some metal strips that might be sewn into the top to strengthen it. I wonder if there is any other hardware besides the stainless steel strip that holds the cover (Tonneau) when the top is down? Any help and information on that is appreciated.
Walter

The convertible top and rear window is all attached to a tacking strip that runs around the rear of the beltline. The tack strip is familiar to most people who have worked in the auto trim biz. And there are places I believe that still supply tack strip. Yes, it is a compressed fibrous material. On the '55 Caribbean it is crimped inside a metal channel that was spot-welded to the metal flange lip at that position.

The top fabric itself is simply stapled and tacked to this strip and then this marriage is in turn covered with the stainless strip that holds the snap bases for the top boot.

A tack strip can be destroyed over years by water, excessive tacking/stapling and over-zealous top-fabric removal that can yank the tack strip out of its channel. In any of these cases, you will need to consult a good automotive trim supplier for new tack strip material and replace whatever is damaged or missing with fresh tack strip.

Use the old kind. In more recent years there have been folks selling vinyl, plastic, even rubber strips calling them "replacement tack strips"... and I don't recommend any of these. Use the good stuff. It is usually dark brown or even black. But it should be able to hold a good stapling by a power stapler.

The same tack strip will also be on the tip of the main rear bow above the rear window. Once the top is installed and stapled onto the rear bow, that bow originally was then covered with a small rain-gutter shaped retainer affixed to the outside of the top fabric. This retainer channel was then covered by a slim stainless steel strip to finish it off. These stainless strips are almost always missing these days. If yours is missing and you cannot find another, then your only viable choice left is to use a trim piece known as a "Wire-on." This is a standard American convertible convertible trim component and can be a decent substitute for a missing stainless rear bow trim. But don't get talked into using a different trim component here such as a strip called a "Hidem" or "Hide-em." I've seen a few restored V8 Caribbeans with these installed. Not good for a V8 Caribbean and they tend to hold water too.

As for the cover for the lowered top... in American automotive terminology this is properly called a "Boot" or "Dust Boot"... but never a "tonneau." A tonneau is something that covers the seats and vehicle interior. Different thing that people in recent years mix terms and now often call a "tonneau"... it is a boot.

1955 Caribbeans originally had a top fabric that was a tightly woven, slightly silky material (same as used on old K-F convertibles). It was different from canvas or cloth tops... just a different look. Color was white on the outside and and color of the center strip on the inside (pink, light green, light blue, or red). The top well on 1955 only also had this headliner color (1956 top well was white). Closest imitation of this 1955 top today is to settle for vinyl in what the auto trim industry refers to as "diamond pinpoint" grain.

Here is what an original unmolested 1955 Caribbean top looks like from a Rose Quartz color combo car. Note the pink in the top well too (apologize for the faded photo-taken in the 1970s-but the pink was actually VERY bright and till is today). Howard Hughes bought this car new for Jean Peters and it had 1200 miles on the odometer when I took this photo. If you want to know any further details about the top feel free to ask.

Oh, and by the way, the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters new old stock 1955 Caribbean is presently located and displayed at the Automotive Driving Museum in El Segundo, California. Curator there is Earl Rubenstein, who is a treasure trove of Packard information. You can read all about this car and authentic history of how it was acquired from Hughes in the Spring, 1980 issue of The Packard Cormorant magazine from The Packard Club (many back issues can still be ordered or try eBay) ...

Attach file:

jpg  (24.26 KB)
1249_53509c5d5f86b.jpg 330X462 px

Posted on: 2014/4/17 22:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
Thank you all for the information thus far. Yes, a picture of the tack strip would be great and a close up how that goes in the channel would be helpful. Also some close up of the channels that you are talking about. I do have the strips that go across the top of the covetable top. I am not sure about the rain gutter strip that would go under it, talking about the hardware above the window your referring to.
I understand that the cover for the top is called a booth, I used the term toneau due to the lack of my English.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/4/18 8:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
These stainless strips are almost always missing these days. If yours is missing and you cannot find another, then your only viable choice left is to use a trim piece known as a "Wire-on."

Mine was missing when I bought the car but at least as of 12 years ago this stainless strip was available as a repro item from Max Merritt.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
These stainless strips are almost always missing these days. If yours is missing and you cannot find another, then your only viable choice left is to use a trim piece known as a "Wire-on."

Mine was missing when I bought the car but at least as of 10 years ago this stainless strip was available as a repro item from Max Merritt.

Ahhh. Good to know these have been repopped. I presume that both the inner channel was also reproduced as well as the outer stainless trim?

Anyway, a bit more about the inner channel that retains the stainless rear bow trim...
The original inner channel was steel and these today are usually very russssssty! If yours is russsty and it has not been repopped, these can be pretty nasty and gnarly to reinstall on a nice new top. Instead, I recommend using extruded aluminum channel that is widely available and similar in size and shape to the old steel channel underpiece retainer. It wont rust, either. However, if you have the original steel channel and it is not badly corroded, you may be able to save it and reinstall. I recommend either zinc coating it (after a thorough cleaning) or a powder coat in silver gray.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Walt wrote:
Thank you all for the information thus far. Yes, a picture of the tack strip would be great and a close up how that goes in the channel would be helpful.
Thanks

You are most welcome! I will have to look in my files to locate such a photo. I have jillions of photos I took over the years, but unfortunately all are not sorted and properly filed, so it may take a bit of time.

However, I will say that the tack strip should be at approximately 3/4 of an inch wide and approximately 3/8" thick (these measurements vary, but this is a guideline). It is crimped into a metal channel that is spot-welded to the body beltline flange. It might be a good idea if you took photos of this area on your car and I can then advise you as to what is going on and how to remedy.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyway, a bit more about the inner channel that retains the stainless rear bow trim... The original inner channel was steel and these today are usually very russssssty! If yours is russsty and it has not been repopped, these can be pretty nasty and gnarly to reinstall on a nice new top.

The trim I bought from Max included the inner channel which as I recall was galvanized steel.

Posted on: 2014/4/18 9:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved