Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

37Blanche, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Proper idle RPM and dwell setting
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Just got a new toy..vintage tach/dwell meter. Looking at the specs for my 1954 327ci L-head 8cyl 165hp, seems like idle RPM should be set at 400-450RPM and dwell angle 31deg.
The chassis plate on my car on the left side door jam says 5465-2627 so I'm a bit confused on exactly which spec to look at. Thanks Again!

Posted on: 2014/4/19 19:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Proper idle RPM and dwell setting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The April 54 service counselor I extracted herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=142915#forumpost142915 has all the specs. The front page of that counselor has the chassis info. Your 5465 is on the 5411 chassis & you should have the Delco dist so 31 degrees.

Generally Packard wanted around 4-450 rpm but at any rate when setting anything you want to keep it below the point where centrifugal advance comes in. I don't remember if they wanted the vacuum advance also disconnected to set timing but the instructions are in the SM.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 19:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Proper idle RPM and dwell setting
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard, you are a star! Thanks again for your knowledge and help. Warren

Posted on: 2014/4/19 20:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved