Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 - 54 bottom of door alignment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
As I look at potential cars to replace my current one, I have noticed quite a few cars have the bottom of the door stick out, even though the top of the door appears to be aligned correctly. Is there an adjustment for this? I can't see the philips head hinge screws allowing the door to move in more. Was this an issue on new cars coming from the factory? Does it indicate other issues the car may have?

Posted on: 2014/4/20 10:04
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Re: 51 - 54 bottom of door alignment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It for certain wasn't an issue as the cars left the factory. Packard along with Hudson probably had the best body assembly fit in the industry in those years. The reasons for what you see are the obvious ones, collision damage with improper repair, worn door hinge pins, misadjusted door hinges, etc.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 10:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard did have a brute force solution to doors that stuck out in places but I'm also wondering how much modern replacement weatherstrip has to do with the problem.

I have the issue with my 56. With no weatherstrip, the doors closed easily and properly and all was good. When Steele's replacement was installed, the doors now have to be slammed and there is a misfit toward the lower part of the door. I am thinking either the replacement stuff is too hard overall so does not compress as easily. Perhaps it is not quite the same contour as the original so does not bend to fit the opening in the same place.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.54 KB)
209_53540664650d8.jpg 370X206 px

Posted on: 2014/4/20 12:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It could be a matter of adjustment or it could indicate body damage from an accident, sub standard repairs, or body sagging from advanced corrosion damage.

You can adjust the doors for a good fit but sometimes you have to adjust the fender to fit the door, and then adjust the hood and so forth. This is why the adjustment is often not done correctly. When doing a complete restoration where all doors, fenders, trunk lid, and hood are off the car it can easily take more than a day to fit all the panels and windows correctly. Few body shops will take the trouble to fit everything perfectly if they can brush the job off and shove it out the door.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys. If I see a door with this condition, I will approach with caution. Never thought about door seals causing it. Good to know!

Posted on: 2014/4/23 7:13
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved