Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

steering "sticks"or binds
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vapackard
See User information
'41 120:steering "sticks" or binds. problem began this season at first drive.initially noted on turns, but today (second day out) it happened at slow speed, straight street in the neighborhood. the phenomenon is intermittent and not consistent but is scary!
? any suggestions?
I asked this question on the AACA forum but it was suggested that I ask here. I'd be afraid to drive the car on a tour in the present condition and it is frustrating that this did not happen last season!

Posted on: 2014/4/20 19:52
 Top  Print   

Re: steering "sticks"or binds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If at the time of the sticking there is absolutely no play in the steering wheel, then the problem is in the column. If there is play at the wheel then I guess the problem is in the box. Seems someone here was showing pictures of a failed sector gear sometime in the past. Best pull the cover off the box and have a careful look.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 20:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does it have that center pivot mechanism. If so, what would happen if something in that section developed a problem. I remember posts from others about finding something in that area loose or damaged or dry. Don't remember what it was or what the symptoms were exactly but it would seem anything that doesn't move freely there could cause your sticking.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Yes Howard, seems that the center pivot mechanism was very well placed by Packard engineers so that any radiator leaks ran down, around and through it. If it was missed when greasing under the car, and no doubt many were missed over the years, then it could have corroded and is causing problems. And, as Ross says, check the steering box. Seen a few that were empty or with minimal oil.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 21:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
DANGER. If it is impending failure (excessively loose) of the roller on the top of the "sector", AKA the cross shaft, an imminent failure which can happen IS dangerous. Roller fails, steering box locks up. Bad things can happen. References provided on request.

alternate (less dangerous) sticking could be at either point of the drag link due to the ballstuds at the end of the pitman arm or the center steering arm worn into a groove that then feels sticky, or the infamous center steering pin being really really worn. Also don't rule out a wheel bearing loose or failing.

Posted on: 2014/4/20 22:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vapackard
See User information
Thanks for suggestions. Flackmaster's post induces the same bad feeling I had when it happened. I THINK all of the links are OK since I inspected and lubricated them when engine rebuilt 600 miles ago. The steering has always been "loose" and sloppy, so that may be the big clue that the box is the problem. The events happened so fast I can't tell you if there was play in the wheel at the time.
Plan is to open the steering box for inspection, but I'm not certain what to look for if all looks and feel OK.
Any guidance for steering box inspection/repair would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 7:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I would jack up the car and disconnect the rod from the pitman arm to the center pivot arm now you can check which part of the system is "sticking"

Posted on: 2014/4/21 8:54
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5335&forum=10&post_id=111389#forumpost111389

note that these pictures do not show the cross shaft in situ. When you remove the cover of the steering box, you can then have someone turn the steering wheel a bit and see whether the roller "wobbles" before moving the pitman arm. IF so, start unbolting things...

DAF

Posted on: 2014/4/21 9:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vapackard
See User information
Will do. Hopefully it will stick and the answer will be obvious, since it isn't always sticking during the drive.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John, vapackard, for including your '41 One-Twenty 4-Door Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Your comment in OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT of "fixed divider with glass slider separates front and rear compartment - an anomaly" is interesting.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved