Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

31 gas gauge
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Does anyone have a diagramm on how to remove a hydrostatic gas gauge from the dash? I've been under the dash but can't find any sign of what holds it in. It was disconnected by a former owner. There is no sign of any tubing. The front looks complete.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 21:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 gas gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is some info on the gauge operation and fluid in this old thread Not much detail on how to specifically remove it but maybe you can get some ideas from the illustrations. Here is another piece from an old Motor's Manual with some different illustrations.

There is another piece written by Fred Mauck of PI and published by them. Since it is their article I won't post but if you want it will be glad to email if you PM me an address.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 198.31 KB; Hits: 36

Posted on: 2014/4/22 23:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Thank you for the info, What does "PM me an address" mean? I'm not too smart computer-wise.

Posted on: 2014/4/28 8:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the PM, it means send me a private message.

As long as you are logged into the forum you can click on a posters name (HH56 in my case) in the message subject line and a profile will come into view. At the bottom of the info is a button labeled PM. Click on that and a separate window will open where you type a subject and then in the box below type and send a private message. If you have received any private messages, when you are logged in there will be a red number at the side of INBOX in the User Menu where you log in. Click on INBOX and a window will appear with all your messages.

If you want me to email you a copy of the gauge information you will see my email address in the profile. Send me an email and I will reply and send the article as an attachment. If you prefer regular mail, then send me a private message with your address and I will mail a copy.

It is only a page or two and as mentioned, no real info on exactly how to remove the thing. Some different illustrations and a few bits of information. Maybe between all of the articles you can see what has to happen.

Posted on: 2014/4/28 8:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Thanks again, but now the gauge is the least of my problems. The part of the windshield frame that pivots the windshield has broken and it is apparently pot metal so can't be fixed. How in heck am I going to deal with this.
Roadster for sale perhaps?

Posted on: 2014/4/29 9:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry to hear that. I don't know enough about those models to know what is involved so maybe this is out in left field. If the part is not huge or intricate and there is enough of the old pot metal left to stick all the pieces together for a decent pattern, there should be some small foundries that can make a sand mold and do a brass or other metal casting. There are probably some foundries listed in Hemmings that do that kind of work. Expect there would be some machining involved but hopefully not a huge amount. If it was a common failure, perhaps there is already someone who might have done it and has extras.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 9:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
No, this isn't a seperate part. This is part of the ENTIRE windshield frame where the glass frame pivots.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 14:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
My experience is limited to the 6th series cars however I would doubt very much if the windshield arrangement on your 8th series is much different.

I assume your car is closed car, sedan etc, if so the windshield frame is made from a channel shaped steel section and it pivots across the top edge with a full width steel hinge designed to prevent the ingress of water. There is no pot metal in any of this.

I would guess that the hinge on yours has come loose where it is screwed to the timber frame. The timber in that area is prone to rotting. Fixing it entails removing the windshield and hinge then replaceing the rotten wood and hoping the damage does not extend too far.

As for your gas gauge it is pot metal and it grows and jams into the small steel surround that holds it to the back of the dash. The surround is screwed to the dash. It all needs to be removed and a new gauge assembly fitted. The parts are all available from classicandexotic.com.

As I said all of the above is based on 6th Series hopefully someone with an 8th Series will comment further.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 17:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well if you're serious about selling send me a pm.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 18:24
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi S & D:

Behind the instrument panel there is a surround for the dash lighting. Once that is removed the gauge is held in with metal plates and fasteners.

As for the windshield, you may be able to get it fixed if you have the pieces. Try D&D in Ohio. Else contact Don Sommer for information on have a new casting made. It's big but not impossible.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/4/29 18:52
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved