Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trunk Rack on a '32 901.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have a few questions about the trunk rack. Both trunk rack brace joint assemblies need to be chrome plated. I tried to push the pins out using a vice but ran into more resistance than I thought should be required. Has anyone out there done before and are there any thoughts on how best to do it (or maybe not do it)?

Also, the 5 stainless steel trim pieces have a few dents and two have areas where they have been partially crushed. It appears that I should be able to "un-dent and un crush" them. At that point, they should buff and polish up nicely. Another question that I have is what type of connector it used to install the trim pieces and are they available somewhere?

Posted on: 2014/4/24 8:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk Rack on a '32 901.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Talk to your plater about plating the folding arm bracket assemblies. My plater did them as complete assemblies with no problem in plating or thereafter. I assume some special technique was used.

Posted on: 2014/4/24 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
O-D,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check with him the next time I see him.

Posted on: 2014/4/25 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My chrome man picked up the two trunk brace joint assemblies last week. I did not get them apart, but went with O-D's suggestion about asking about having them plated while they were still together. When the plater does the copper plating, he'll do that with them open in order to minimize the amount of copper being plated inside the joint area. I should see them in a couple of weeks.

I also included for chrome plating both covers for the tool and battery boxes. Like they say it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 8:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bruce Blevins
See User information
As for the chrome bars on the trunk rack, I suggest two options. Send them to John Wrights Custom chrome in Grafton, Ohio to be repaired and chromed. He is the best I have found for plating pot metal. Or American Arrow in Troy Michigan and they reproduce the bars in stainless steel.

Bruce

Posted on: 2014/5/8 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Bruce

Thanks for your input & thoughts. The person that I have been using has saved some pot metal parts for me that were in real bad shape. While I cringe at the price the quality has been very good.

By the chrome bars, is it correct to assume that you are referring to the 5 stainless steel (SS) bar that are parallel to the ground? If so, mine are SS and have never been chromed. Therefore, i was assuming that to chrome plate them would be incorrect, but certainly nicer looking.

Do you know where I can find the little clips that hold the bards on and the medallion that goes on the rack.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved