Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

29tons, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 firewall and eng color
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I know there were threads on this before and I reviewed them but did not really get the full answer. I am looking for the brushable engine enamel for a 55 clipper custom. Were all clipper engines ivory or red? mine is AB paint code and the firewall and engine seem to be tourmaline. The turquoise listed by the vendors seems to be much darker than what im looking for. Is anyone 100% sure that this color could not have been used on the engine from the factory? The car was in the original exterior paint when we aquired it and I dont believe the engine was ever out. I dont see any other paint color or primer where the paint ts checked and cracking on the wpump or block. What valve covers would have come on this eng? Plain bl Packard script etc? thanks

Posted on: 2014/4/26 17:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 firewall and eng color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Clipper Custom engines were a sort of turquoise with black valve covers with a silver "Clipper" sticker that has been reproduced by the Packard club. I think I have used Pontiac engine paint in the past.

Firewall color would be whatever was also on the hood in any color scheme. Inner fenders were the black semigloss primer they were dipped in at the factory but with a heavy dose of the color coat overspray that would naturally occur when you aimed the gun in to paint the edge that mates with the hood.

Posted on: 2014/4/26 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks for that! The valve covers are bl plain no stickers. I will check the #s against your info to confirm it is correct. As for the paint, the turquoise is too dark with way too much blue in it. Perhaps the hue has faded over the years though the firewall which was protected from the sun seems so vibrant and unaltered. It really seems to match the "Jade" color in the paint chips from your database. I see other clippers where the firewall is the same as the hood and fenders but this cars firewall and engine are a match for the jade that was on the roof and trunk. Perhaps a long distant resto or repair but with my experience in vehicle resto there was never a repaint over the orig lacquer on the exterior body. I was looking for someone to confirm some clippers may have came that way. No sense to document what is there before going over it I assume. thanks again

Posted on: 2014/4/27 8:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
found this if anyone else is interested. detroit diesel seems to be the color for me. same price per qt as others.http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Motor-Coater-HD.html

Posted on: 2014/4/27 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
BTW. I cant seem to update the photo for our owners registry pic. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2014/4/27 15:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Usual suspects are that the photo is too big, has an illegal character in the title or it's title is too long. Failing that working, I can always try adding one for you. Email ozstatman AT gmail DOT com

Posted on: 2014/4/27 16:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
reduced the file size and it seems to have worked. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/4/29 17:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Great that it worked, and thanks for the feedback.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 0:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thought I would add on to this tread, how about the correct Red for a '55 320 engine. Might someone have a paint code?

Posted on: 2014/9/2 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I used Krylon's "Tomato" on the engine of my '55's 320. It is damn close if not the same as the original color.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/2 16:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved