Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
All good thoughts Howard. Charged battery did not help. Rubbed a file on the points and reset them. No start. The coil was new on the '51 so even if it's a few years old, it was not used much. The "flex" wire in the distributor looks like a modern plastic costed wire and is in good condition. I don't get why it was starting so great only to have this happen all of a sudden.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 20:11
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "flex" wire in the distributor looks like a modern plastic costed wire and is in good condition

Probably not your problem now, but it will be at some point in the future, assuming it's plain copper wire so I'd suggest you add finding a proper wire to your list - NAPA has them. Problem with plain copper wire is that it "work-hardens" with the constant flexing and thus becomes brittle and eventually will fracture. Proper wire for this application was originally beryllium copper and currently is more likely a copper/steel braid or copper-plated steel wire.

PS - I don't know if these are correct or not, I'd probably source from NAPA/Echlin. But you might want to give them a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Distributor-Leads-1951-1954-Kaiser-6-1947-1952-Packard-8-1948-1954-Nash-6-Amb-/121439236705?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4657b261&vxp=mtr

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I "think" I have a short. I took my multimeter and connected one end to ground. I read 6.3v at both terminals of the coil and also at the distributor. I switched to ohms and even with the points open, I read conductivity when I put one probe on the stationary plate and other on the moveable arm on the points. I guess I need to remove the distributor and replace the points. I can also put in the proper flex wire and might as well replace the condensor.

Posted on: 2014/9/21 16:29
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Have you tried replacing the condenser?

Posted on: 2014/9/22 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I went to Napa today and the numbers in the x-ref on this site are not in his system. He even checked the old book. Does anyone know the correct Napa numbers? I have a 327 engine with delco ignition. I gave RR134 for the condenser and CS77 for the points.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 16:47
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have the correct numbers and I just got a set a few weeks ago from my local NAPA. Perhaps try a different NAPA store or a different counterman but note if he looked them up in the computer there is space between the first two letters and the numbers, CS 77 and RR 134.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Ahhh thanks! Perhaps the space threw him. He tried "the old book" and it skipped over the points number. I shall try again tomorrow. Of course looking up by the car only produced the distributor cap. Not even the rotor showed up.

EDIT: I tried the numbers on their website with the space and nothing found. Hope I have better luck at the store.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 19:29
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Not much luck at a different Napa. They say the rr 134 condenser is not available. I tried online chat and the rep couldn't help either. The store told me the cs 77 points are now cs 351. I didn't order them yet. Is there another store that has the condenser? No go at rockauto.com. I have Advance Auto, Autozone and O'Reillys close to me. Just need a part number.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 18:54
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the condenser try NAPA AL 869, I use it as a universal condenser for almost any application regardless of # of cylinders, voltage, and polarity.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 19:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/9/23 19:06
[url=h
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved