Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
5-23-16

Need a little noobie help. I went to remove the nut on the axle holding the rear brake drum on and I do not have a socket that fits. Can anyone tell me the correct size I need to buy? I cant find the size of the nut in the parts book, but I'm not sure what it's called either besides an axle nut. Also, what is the reassembly procedure? I'm confused and I think I have researched the wrong part. I saw one thread that said to tighten and then loosen the nut to the nearest cotter pin location and another that says to tighten to 200-270 foot pounds. Which is correct? Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/5/23 19:28
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
OK I think I'm measuring the nut as 1-5/16" I'll buy a socket and see how it goes.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 19:28
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was thinking it was 200-240 ft lbs to tighten it. The other adjustment sounds like how you adjust the front wheel bearing castle nut.
John

Posted on: 2016/5/25 8:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You still need to match up the nut with the cotter pin hole in the axle. I would tighten to spec and then back off as needed to insert the pin. What do others think?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/5/25 10:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Simply, the object it to be within the specification range of torque with the cotter pin installed. So if you're at the low end of the torque range, try to tighten to the next cotter pin hole, yet staying within the range; if you're at the high end of the range then loosen to the next cotter pin hole, still staying within the range. If neither works, try a thicker or thinner washer or just dress off a few thousands of the existing washer.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys, so it has to be the 200-270 foot pounds. Maybe the 20 foot pound was for the front. I'm not sure. I guess I'll know when I go to remove it. I can't see 20 lbs being enough to hold a wheel on an axle.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 14:56
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
So I went to 4 different stores and no one had a 1-5/16" socket! Looks like I might have to special order it. I looked in the parts book again under brakes and rear axle and I still can't find the nut or its true size. Can anyone confirm I have the right socket size for the rear axle nut before I order one only to find its the wrong size??

Posted on: 2016/5/25 18:29
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't help because I don't have any junior cars to measure and they take a smaller nut than the seniors. Parts only says the junior axle nut thread size is 3/4-16 and no info on the wrench size needed. One thing to be aware of is stock Packard axle nuts are physically larger and take a larger socket than the typical same thread size nut you buy at the hardware store. I found this out when I had to replace those on the 47. IIRC, store bought nuts in the size I needed took 1/8 smaller socket.

Point being if someone does measure theirs for you before ordering the socket be sure to re-measure and confirm no one has replaced the nuts on your car with non stock items.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Howard, good points. Had a little luck today. First off I re-read my posts and I have no idea why I was writing 1-5/8" when I have been meaning to write 1-5/16"! I'll go and edit my previous posts. I went to Farm and Fleet on a long shot thinking tractors probably use big nuts and I was right! Found the right size socket but it's in 3/4" drive and I only have 1/2". Bought it anyway to confirm the size and 1-5/16" is correct. Now I can return these and look for the right socket online. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas!

Posted on: 2016/5/26 17:43
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not keep the 3/4 drive socket and just buy a 1/2 by 3/4 drive adapter to use with a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar or torque wrench? I'm sure the adapter will find more use down the road. Such adapters are part of any comprehensive tool kit.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 18:17
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved