Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
That's a very good idea and I would do it but I found an impact version online cheaper than the one I got today that I can use with my impact gun. I'll have it on Saturday when I'll be able to hopefully work on the car some more.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 21:25
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I got my 1 5/16" socket in a set at Harbor Freight. It is actually a set of 3/4" drive impact sockets and I bought a 3/4" drive torque wrench which goes up to 300 ft/lbs.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/27 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Good score! Harbor Freight was one of my previous stops and didn't have any larger sized sockets....not even in the sets.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 11:48
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
5-29-16

Got the rear drum off. The nut barely needed the impact wrench. I put the puller on expecting to hit it a few times throughout the day and it only took 5 hits and it was off! No loud pop or anything. Makes me think the thing was not on tight enough to begin with.

Brakes looked OK. No leaks from the wheel cylinder. I decided to take them apart to lube up the pivot points.

What a chore it was to reassemble! Took me 4 tries to finally get it back together. I always have problems with drum brakes, even with having the spring tool.

I didn't see any hang ups with the parking brake. When I tested it this side was not holding. Maybe just the shoes need to be adjusted for it to work properly.

When I went to put the drum on, I noticed the axle has a long slot for a square key to go in. I put the drum on with the key flush with the end of the axle. Am I supposed to drive it in before tightening the nut or do I just tighten and it's good to go?

Posted on: 2016/5/29 17:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I would assume the key should be flush with the end of the drum and then the nut put on. Was there a washer also?
And here I thought I'd need a puller, all I need is to bump it with a soft hammer and off it will pop....LOL LOL.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/29 20:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hi John, yes there is a washer under the nut. The key seems to push out harder the farther it is pushed in the slot which adds to my confusion. I hope your drums come off with no surprises but the ease at which this one came off makes me concerned.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 23:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I think it'll pay you to do a careful inspection of the keyways in both the axle shaft and the brake drum. Check they aren't skewed or chewed in any way but straight and true and that they haven't twisted or have burrs or impediments so that the key will sit squarely and snugly in them. Should be snug, not loose. Also check the key itself, that it hasn't been damaged in any way. It should be straight and true without marks which could be a basis for the key shearing later. If all is straight and well in all parts, fit the key into the axle keyway and fit the drum by sliding it onto the axle. IIRC correctly, with my '41, there wasn't any key extending beyond the end of the drum flange on fitment of the drum.

Posted on: 2016/5/30 0:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always end up getting surprises when I not looking for them. Usually problem oriented in my case.....
John

Posted on: 2016/5/30 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is the axle nut LH or RH threaded on the driver's side?

John

Posted on: 2016/5/30 16:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

RH thread.

Posted on: 2016/5/30 17:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved