Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Mal, just checking, I seen where Nash used left and right hand axle nuts on some of their cars.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/30 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-2-16

Been researching on this site brake lines. Looks like most are recommending copper-nickel lines so I will start sourcing that out. The lines on the car look a little crusty and I do not want to risk a blown line and no brakes. I had that happen in my '51 and I took out a chain link fence. Lesson learned long ago!

I have a double flare tool I bought at Farm and Fleet a while ago. Hopefully it will be up for the job, otherwise I will have to research prebent setups.

I tightened the nut on the axle. My torque wrench only goes up to 150 foot pounds so I turned the nut until I got there, then bumped it with my impact wrench which I think tops out at 250 foot pounds. It basically turned the nut to the next slot for the cotter pin.

Looking at where the hole is compared to the nut, it seems like the nut is too far in. I put a cotter pin in it (too small - I will replace with the proper size later) and it looks like just 1/2 the head is going to contact the nut. Do you guys think this is going to be OK? The nut on the '51 axle does not look like it is in as far.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.86 KB)
508_5750c1f7f1758.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (61.48 KB)
508_5750c201ace47.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/6/2 18:32
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to be sure I'd recommend you add a washer or use a thicker washer so that the cotter is truly trapped in the slot.

Posted on: 2016/6/2 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hey that's a great idea! Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/6/2 19:25
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Do you know of anyone who could use a couple of NOS rear windows? I have TWO that I believe are for a '51-52 Junior..
FREE...FREE....FREEEE
..but they would have to be picked up 25 west of Houston....
Trying to downsize and anxious to find someone who can use them....just no way to ship.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.25 KB)
441_5750df6481936.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.75 KB)
441_5750df775e3bb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/6/2 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Bummer, I'm about 1500 miles northeast of Houston...
I wouldn't mind having an extra rear window....
Packard51, did you change out the brake shoes or just needed new wheel cylinders? Did you repack the rear axle bearing or replace the outer rear seal? I've wondered about that myself on my car. I'm sort of concerned that the grease may be hardened after so many years or maybe separated??

John

Posted on: 2016/6/3 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hi John,

I didn't do anything to the brakes except take them mostly apart and greased the pivot areas. The wheel cylinder wasn't leaking and the linings looked good so I left well enough alone.

Posted on: 2016/6/4 15:41
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-6-16

I haven't made it to the hardware store yet to get larger cotter pins or a filler washer for the axle nut.

I crawled under the car and removed the rear brake lines. I have never been able to remove a brake line without bending/braking it but they came out of both wheel cylinders with no problem.

The junction block on the rear axle sure was a different story. I got lucky and was able to brake the bolt loose on the junction block under the loose "vent" (I guess that is what it is??). It took a lot of turning the rubber hose around itself but it finally came out. The drivers side came out of the junction block easily, but the passenger side did not. I rounded off the nut. Right now I have it soaking in PB Blaster. Hopefully that will help.

The Copper-Nickel brake line is awesome! I was able to bend it mostly to shape with just my hands and my first time at double flares worked great! At least they look the part. Don't know if they leak yet or not.

Attach file:

jpg  (91.95 KB)
508_57560d066a64b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/6/6 18:53
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The main thing when flaring is to examine your double flare carefully for any splits or cracks..... John

Posted on: 2016/6/6 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-12-16

Well up to now everything had been going smoothly. Over the last few days I would remove a brake line and bring it into the house to bend and flare. Everything was looking good.

I have the two lines from the rear wheel cylinders done and installed into the junction block. I removed the long line going from the rear to the master cylinder, but I have not formed it yet because I don't know if I will have enough brake line for the whole car. I also removed the drivers side front line and rubber hose. The passenger line was removed from the master cylinder, but still attached at the wheel until I can get at that side of the car.

I ordered from Autozone the Duralast 88215 rubber brake hoses from the x-ref on this site. I figured I should replace those while I was under the car since I don't know how old they are.

When the hoses arrived, I was upset to find out that the fittings are 7/16"! All of the steel lines had 3/16" fittings which I was using as well. Had I known the hoses were a different size, I could have put the larger fittings on the new lines! Spent 2 hours running from parts store to parts store looking to see if there are 3/16" to 7/16" adapters and none to be found! I don't think I have enough extra material on the lines to cut the flare and change the fitting. So frustrating!

Posted on: 2016/6/12 12:31
[url=h
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved