Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Shift linkage
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Question. Where can I get instruction on how to properly adjust the shift linkage on my 1950 Packard?

Posted on: 2014/5/18 22:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Shift linkage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the procedure for an earlier model. Your car has the same setup except there is no stamped plate with the hole at the end of the levers. The lever positions depend on where the operator lever is positioned instead of a fixed reference. Do a bit of lubrication first though which kind of messes with the sequence.

When you lubricate the levers on steering column, pay particular attention to the top 2-3 lever. The levers have to be very free to rotate on the shift tube and there is no direct provision for any lubrication. Both levers but particularly that top lever have been known to corrode and all but seize to the shift rod. There is a small hole on the side of the shift tube which gets a few drops of oil. That can run down and a drop or two will come out a slot in the tube to help the lower R-1 lever but nothing for the top except what misses the hole.

Place a few drops of oil at the top of lever so it runs down into the space around the tube. The shift tongue is normally in the top lever so it will be locked to the operator lever. When you disconnect the rods for the adjustment, before locking the levers together with the pin check the bottom lever rotation and then have someone pull back the operator lever to the first/reverse position to engage the tongue in the lower lever and make sure the top lever is also free.

Once levers are free to rotate, to adjust you disconnect the two short rods with turnbuckles from the levers at steering column then insert the pin thru the hole in levers so they are locked together. The gearshift lever should be positioned in the center or neutral position at steering wheel. Once the levers are locked together make sure the transmission itself is in neutral and then adjust the turnbuckles so the rod ends will slip back into the levers on steering column

Attach file:

jpg  (61.44 KB)
209_537988919b516.jpg 364X1065 px

Posted on: 2014/5/18 23:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other thing while things are disconnected. Move the rods going to trans by hand to check how they feel. There will be a slight amount of wiggle but if there is lost motion so you can move either rod to any extent in any direction check the bushings and rod ends for wear. If there is any slop in the detent so you can move the rod fore and aft before trans actually has resistance and starts to move into gear there is a possibility the detent is worn or loose. Any lost motion via the linkage is a known issue that could cause shift problems.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Would this be a good thing for me to try? Mine likes to jam on me every once in a while. 90% of the time, it shifts great. When it messes up, it gets stuck when I shifting from first to second. I have it almost down to a science and usually can get it unstuck without having to stop. If not, I get pulled over, shut it off and move the center (Canadian spelling ) lever to the middle position. Or do I have another issue. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 20:04
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It wouldn't hurt to check the adjustment but also check for wear everywhere. By the number of bulletins and articles written, Packard seemed to have had several issues with that entire linkage setup. Any slop in the rods, bushings or wear in the idler assy support bolted on the engine side is a potential cause for shift issues. Looseness of the detent in the trans was an issue on some cars & rated a bulletin so also worth a check.

You may have seen some of Mark Graber's posts on his 47 rebuild. Don't know what or if there were any specific problems he encountered but I believe he did find quite a bit of wear on the rods and in the idler support.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, In the land of Oz (Australia) we have a number of Packards cars with an ongoing issue of jamming between gears. It always occurs between First and Second gears, This is because the worn linkage does not return the First/ Reverse Selector fully to the Neutral position before the operator goes for the Second gear grab. IMHO.....I always go slightly above Neutral coming out of First ( not to the point of a reverse gear clash but it could happen occassionally and does no harm), but a bit above to compensate for wear.
I also consider that some operators are very harsh on the shift linkage and "ram" it through despite protestations....this is asking for trouble.
There are a lot of vehicles out there with worn column shifts and Packard vehicles are not the only or worst, to "develop' some problems in this area. I would suggest that a slight over release upowards of the gear selector from First will compensate for wear in the linkages. You also need to develop a gentle touch and allow the spring to push the lever into the Second/ Third shift plane before going for Second.

It works for me........Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 5:30
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Haven't noticed any wear in the rods, bushings or the idler ass'y support, but will look again. I was thinking the issue may be at the bottom of the column. I just haven't formulated a plan of attack. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 8:33

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hey Delux: lengthen the turnbuckle on the 1-R link between the column and the idler on the side of the engine slightly. This will insure the transmission and the column reach their crossover at the same time.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks for that Ross. I will have a look at it. But, unless it's labeled which is the 1 R.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 23:19

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Check the last picture in post #2, from Howard. It is the forward of the two , ie, the one on the left in the picture. I'm thinking about 1/2 turn will do it. When making fiddly adjustments like that I like to put a dab of paint or a piece of tape so I can put it back where it was if I need to.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 5:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved