Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1924 brake question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
My 1924 touring car has an issue with the right front brake. When the steering wheel is turned for a right turn, the brake applies on the right front wheel. The wheel will rotate backwards, but it catches at a point and stops in the forward rotation. When the steering wheel is neutral, I can hear/feel a rub at a constant point as the wheel rotates forward but the wheel does not stop.

Any ideas on where to begin with this?

Thanks,

Seth Gartner
Charlotte, NC

Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1924 brake question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have owned several cars in the 20s with mechanical brakes . check to make shur the axle is not moving front and back loose spring pin or ubolts. also I have had shoes come loose and jam inside the drum.if that is not it take apart all the linkage and clean it at every joint.My Packard had the part that goes through the backing plate sticking.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 3:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Seth, I do not have that problem with my 1929 633 which has a similar braking system however I have spoken with owners of other similar models with the same problem you describe. I also have a friend with a Lincoln with the same braking setup as our Packards, that car also locks up a front wheel on full steering lock.
Why some cars have the problem and others don't is a mystery , all I can think is that the brake adjustment needs to be backed off a little so that the brakes do not bind on full lock.
However this solution does not work on my mates Lincoln, the brakes need to be backed off so much they do not work at all.
Hopefully others will come in on this problem.
29tons suggestions are all worth checking but the problem can occur on cars with none of those problems.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 17:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
I think my problem is a result of the brakes not fully releasing. The cable pulls on a lever mounted above the axle. This creates rotation of a linkage that uses a universal coupling to then enter the brake housing. If I help that linkage back to fully relaxed position, the wheel moves freely. So this raises two questions...

1.) I thought I might try greasing the fittings associated with this linkage. What type of grease gun fitting do I need to attach to the pin type grease fitting? See picture...sorry a bit blurry...

2.) If the linkage still doesn't return to the desired position, is it possible a weak or broken brake spring is to blame for lack of energy to return the mechanism to the brake release stop?

Thanks for any help.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.77 KB)
4135_542ade257d67e.jpg 1280X1198 px

Posted on: 2014/9/30 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By all means, anything with a grease fitting (and many things w/o them) should be lubricated regularly - can't say that will solve your problem but it's a start as unwanted friction anywhere in a mechanical brake system is bound to give problems. Most all cars of the late 1920 and earlier had that type of early cross-pin Alemite fitting and the adapter is still commonly available, thru MSC in Harrisburg and probably others as well. You can either fasten the end of your grease gun to the adapter, or fit the end of the adapter with a modern Zerk fitting.

Picture of the adapter attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.83 KB)
177_542ae93257ea4.jpg 492X800 px

Posted on: 2014/9/30 12:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
Thanks for confirming this should work. I came across it, but not much supporting info for me to know if it what I need.

The order has been placed!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved