Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1940 Custom Oil Canister and Low Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Finally had sometime to play. After over twenty years wanted to thoroughly clean the oil canister, so took it and the lines off the block.
On my canister, which looks exactly like the one in the Packard and Motors pictures, is clearly stamped in the bottom OUTLET. Which has been getting in oil, or pressure side.
My block is the later block which does not have the oil return hole in the bottom, only the one about half way up the side of the block for outlet, or return.So do I re plumb or just leave it running backwards if it makes no difference.
If it helps, when I blow air in the bottom of the canister it blows through a hole inside at the bottom and out through the top of the tube where the lid screws on.

Just talked to Don Figone, and he believes I have a later filter possibly 41, so does anyone have an early 40 canister for sale that would have a pointed bottom and not the concave one that I have.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 14:00
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Custom Oil Canister and Low Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I now have the proper oil canister, with the inlet in the bottom and am ready to re do the oil lines. As a refresher, my engine is original. So does not have the oil canister output to oil pan. What I am going to do is, as in the packard photo, run a line from the oil pump, to the galley, with a side line to and from the oil canister. See if this this is ok. I change the oil about every 500 miles so may not need the oil filter. It will be there for looks, and may actually filter some oil. So my question is, can too much oil go to the galley? As it will essentially get full flow from oil pump. There will be no dump to oil pan.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/20 0:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
might have better luck on the prewar forum.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 18:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Trying to picture your oil filter tubing plumbing you are proposing, and don't understand it.

Why don't you plumb it the conventional way with a pressure line feeding the oil filter and a drain line back into the crankcase? The drain line can go into the pan via the bottom of the oil fill tube. Not a very elegant way to do it, but just as functional as the later crankcase method.

Be careful that you are not taking flow and pressure away from the lifters. Some kind of restriction in the filter feed is needed.

Oil filters on these 356 engines have been discussed many times. A good idea would be for you to do a search to get information on these installations.

I hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/20 23:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sorry this ended up in post war. My thinking is, and perhaps wrong, that since there will be a direct line from output to galley, and a second through the filter, then back to galley, that the restriction will be the oil filter itself, causing the direct line to flow more, but if not then it is fed from the output of the filter. It is the same as the conventional way for the later engines, except instead of the filter output going to the oil pan, it feeds the galley along with the direct line.
I hesitate to drill and tap holes in the side of this original block.
I am wondering if I do this it will cause too much oil or pressure to the galley?
I have been told that these engines were originally shipped from factory without filters. Had simply a direct line from oil output to galley. Sometimes filters installed by dealers, and sometimes not.
Thanks for your patience.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 0:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have been told that these engines were originally shipped from factory without filters.

That depends on which engine we're talking about. All 356 engines came from the factory with oil filters.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 0:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks for that information. What are you doing up this late? Especially for an east coaster.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 1:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Went back to the beginning of the thread and now I am really confused. What are your reasons for changing any of the plumbing? Are the lifter noisy? If you plumb the engine so there are two paths to the lifter gallery the one with the filter will not flow significantly.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 4:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yes lifters noisy after engine warm. If not much flow through filter, I believe ok, because change oil every four or five hundred miles or so. I believe I just want to make sure there is not too much pressure or oil to galley. This is an original 1940 block, does not have the oil filter outlet to oil pan. Being original the oil filter outlet was the only way to get oil to the galley. In my thinking now there will be two ways, a direct line and from the oil filter.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/21 8:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe I just want to make sure there is not too much pressure or oil to galley

That comment really has me flabbergasted. Just what is the actual oil pressure, road speed and hot idle? Can't say I ever heard of wanting to reduce the pressure to the oil galley unless the cold engine pressure was way above the spec, like significantly more than 40 or 45 psi and that would be done by adjusting the oil pressure relief valve on the pump body.

BTW, is this a 356 engine?

Posted on: 2014/8/21 11:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved