Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1940 Custom Oil Canister and Low Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also... how much oil are you putting in it? With filter change, I put in a full 8 quarts. When it's down a quart, it starts making clicky noises.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 12:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...BTW, is this a 356 engine?

I believe we are talking about an 18th Series model 1350 180 Limo. So... yes, it should be a 356. I think the early 356's had the filter in-line between the pump and lifter gallery (no by-pass plumbing). The oil filter canister had a relief spring at the top of the tube to allow oil to by-pass the filter if it became dirty and the pressure built up (this is why it was fed from the bottom and not the side). The early engines did not have a return port into the oil pan for by-pass plumbing. It sounds to me like tolandis is trying to provide some by-pass filtering while still maintaining full pressure to the lifters without the benefit of the later by-pass plumbing enhancements. He doesn't want to drill the block to provide the return which I can understand. It has been suggested that the return could be drilled into the base of the oil-fill tube thereby providing the later by-pass strategy with only a hole in the easily replaceable fill tube. That's the route I'd go. I wouldn't worry about too much oil going to the gallery (only too little).

Posted on: 2014/8/21 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JD, thanks for the great summarized description of the pre-war 356 oil filter installations.

There is a posting in the For Sale, Wanted, Trade section of a very nice looking '37 120C. The poster says the Packard is in Austin, but I have never seen it. Among the photos in the posting is one of the engine compartment. It is flipped, but when 'moused on' will display in the correct orientation. Look at the terrible job someone did for the oil filter return line to the oil filler tube. Functional, yes - ugly, yes. This is NOT how I was suggesting a return line should be connected to the tube.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/21 18:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Yes an 1808 limo. Yes JD that is what I am trying to accomplish. 8 quarts sounds about right. The date on the block is August 1940, so late for 1940, but from what I understand, just shy of 1941. With my frequent oil changes, I figure filter not a necessary piece of equipment. But keep in line mostly for originality. Right, probably the best way is to dump into base of oil filler tube. I am glad though that there cannot be too much oil to the galley. The start oil pressure is around 60, dropping to 42 after fifteen minute warm up period, that is with a modern mechanical gauge attached right to where the sending unit goes.
If I do the dump to the oil filler neck, I believe it was posted that a restriction needs to be put in line to oil filter, or direct return to galley?
Thanks so much.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 1:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Having re-read this from the beginning and also reading some other earlier posts of yours in other threads, I have a question.

As I understand it, you currently have a later version oil canister which has been plumbed backwards. Is this possibly a canister that has the built-in oil flow restriction (a small hole in the center tube as the only point of entrance/exit for the oil)?

If this is the case, and it is currently plumbed in-line between the pump and lifter gallery, it's no wonder that you have lifter noise. In this instance, I'd go ahead and install the new (1940 style) oil canister as it was originally plumbed. No oil line restriction necessary or desired. You stated elsewhere that you are were using Valvoline 20-50 racing oil. I'd try straight 30 weight detergent (I use Shell Rotella 15-40 which is another of several possibilities). You did indicate that you change your oil often and regularly. I assume your oil pan has been dropped and cleaned of sludge since you indicated in another thread that you had problems with the rear main rope seal requiring multiple installation attempts.

See what results you get with a canister that was designed for in-line installation before you add on any filter by-pass plumbing. If all goes well, just make sure there is always a good flow of clean oil through a clean filter.

Although Packard changed to a by-pass system with a pigtail on the later engines for good reason, I believe that a well maintained in-line filter system with clean oil should provide an adequate oil supply to the hydraulic lifters. If you continue to experience lifter noise, you could try a direct connection between the pump outlet and the lifter gallery input to completely eliminate the canister arrangement as the source of the problem.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 5:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just reading thru JD's good explanation and commentary above, I'm wondering if some folks not that familiar with Packard oiling systems might not get confused by the terminology "by-pass" and full-flow" oil filtration. JD's explanation refers to how they are installed. The more traditional use of these names refers to the type of filter installation; "full-flow" meaning 100% of the oil leaving the pump is filtered before it enters the oil galleys and this type of filter was last used by Packard in 1939 on the Super Eight and Twelve. All subsequent Packard filters were of the by-pass type meaning only a portion of the oil leaving the pump passes thru the filter.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks Dave [O_D], you're correct. The terminology could be misconstrued. I altered the posting to remove the reference to 'Full-flow'.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks again, JD for the clear description of the filtering systems. My comments on having a restriction on the filter side was based on the oil return going into the crankcase, not the lifter gallery. As you said, Packard used two oil filtering methods in the 356s: One with the canister 'in series' and the other with the canister 'in parallel'. They should not be mixed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

tolandis wrote:
Yes an 1808 limo. Yes JD that is what I am trying to accomplish. 8 quarts sounds about right. The date on the block is August 1940, so late for 1940, but from what I understand, just shy of 1941. With my frequent oil changes, I figure filter not a necessary piece of equipment. But keep in line mostly for originality. Right, probably the best way is to dump into base of oil filler tube. I am glad though that there cannot be too much oil to the galley. The start oil pressure is around 60, dropping to 42 after fifteen minute warm up period, that is with a modern mechanical gauge attached right to where the sending unit goes.
If I do the dump to the oil filler neck, I believe it was posted that a restriction needs to be put in line to oil filter, or direct return to galley?
Thanks so much.

Sorry to go off topic, but I think you may have the highest known engine serial number for 1940 Super Eight. Have you given your car's serial number and engine number to JP and/or Charlie Blackman, who both hold lists of all known 1940s?

Posted on: 2014/8/22 9:54
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
no, I don't think. When I have time will look again for date and cc number, and post here.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 10:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved