Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

DM37, Pipesargent, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: The Stripper Clipper (1955 Panama)
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Had to yank the tank today & chase a minor fuel leak before we take a flame wrench to the old rear shocks. I found a small pin hole in the filler neck near the tank but the chief offender seemed to be this open hole that appears to be a vent. It seems like a pretty poor location for a vent....maybe just covering it with the vent hose would have been fine but I soldered it up too while I was at it.
The tank was clearly cleaned, coated & sealed at one point as is evidenced by the large patch in photo 2.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.49 KB)
15023_55da83ce165b5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (134.92 KB)
15023_55da83e7eed0d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/8/23 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't recall seeing a hole in the vent on any other tank. The vent tube and hose has always been continuous so the opening is only at the top of the fill tube.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The new shocks are in and the ride is modestly improved but the cornering is vastly better, no more screaming tires- that is mostly a good thing
Last night, I went after the TL motor, did not realize that the bolts are nutted on the end so that slowed me down a tad.
Added a couple "rounds of wedge" manually to raise the rear and she is now sitting level. Yippee!
Also ordered up new carpet from Hirsh. Ideally, the original
"pepper" style would be available but a solid color will certainly do. Photos & a review will follow.
Drive fast, Summer will soon be behind us!

Posted on: 2015/9/2 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
In a couple of weeks it will be off to storage, though we have been making the best of the late season.
The new carpet is in but I am wondering about the gap in the photo below. Perhaps this is where additional speakers are suppose to go? Maybe the same guy who measured my exhaust pipes measured this carpet??
In any event, I will deal with the carpet & the remaining door weather strip in the Spring.
I will post up some thoughts on the new carpet with photos in separate tread.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.97 KB)
15023_561c45809e738.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2015/10/12 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
That looks grossly not right. I'd send both back.

In my case, I'm custom making the carpeting for Panther (1956 Clipper 2dr HT). It'll be right.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/10/13 3:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just got the wiper motor Transmogrifier back from Clean Sweep Wiper Service in Terrebonne, OR and she looks pretty nice.
Pretty quick turn around.
They don't re plate metal so I will dig out the clear lacquer to keep things shiny. Is there anything serviceable in the black plastic canister that attaches to this?

Attach file:

jpg  (135.56 KB)
15023_56f4854da8bb2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/3/24 19:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The black plastic canister is called the co-ordinator and is part of the washer. It is a sealed cylinder containing the mechanism to move the valve slide when washer is started. End is crimped on and nothing serviceable is inside.

If the coordinator is functional you can pull the wire out approx 3/8-1/2 inch and place your finger over the hose port. When you release the wire the spring should slowly pull it back. If it immediately goes back either there is a vacuum leak in the canister somewhere or else the bleed screw at the rear may have been turned in too far and has broken the bleed port.

On assembly, put a bit of lube on the square piece which goes in the clamp on motor and also lube the ends of metal piece mounted to the coordinator where it slides in the mounting bracket. When you manually turn the wiper on that pot metal piece and the entire coordinator slides with the valve slide and needs to be as free to move as possible. Also, when you reconnect the cables be sure to have the small washers on the wires oriented properly in the slots and on proper sides of the slide and coordinator bracket. You have to pull the co-ordinator wire out against the spring to get its washer forward enough to slip over the edge of slide.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.63 KB)
209_56f48c2a46003.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2016/3/24 19:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The Traverse City show was a super way to spend the day with the '55, it was a loong trip though. Almost turned around near Gary, IN because I left my bag with cloths, kit, cash, etc @ home.
After a good 1/2 dozen F bombs, what can't a trip to the next Target fix?
Next was a quick detour towards Lansing while my navigator putzes with the GPS but we got back on course via the scenic route :)
Traverse City seemed within reach that night until my vapor lock symptoms showed up again. Nope, I ran out of fuel. Now normally, I carry a gallon in the trunk as the gauge is a little flakey but clearly there was not a good 50+ miles left in the tank. Lost about an hour but a cool Sumerian beat AAA and hauled me to the nearest petrol stop.
Friday morning all was well as we drove though town & saw Packards on the road :)

Posted on: 2016/6/26 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information

Posted on: 2016/6/27 19:32
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Had a great time at the show, met great people and even got a ride in the 1915 Packard that was owned by Carl Fisher. After the show, we cruised the lot of the host resort but things were winding down pretty fast so we decided to try to make the Ludington car ferry that evening to head back to WI.
After filling up the car and getting about 15 miles out of town the car really acted up and quit. My hunch was vapor lock or bad fuel and at this point, I had just about had it!
After a cool down(the car & me!)there was no spark at the plugs but spark at the coil.... And this.

Attach file:

jpg  (267.90 KB)
15023_5771e09babe17.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/6/27 21:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved