Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

humanpotatohybrid, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 21 and 22-23?? series hood bumpers.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I was able to remove one bumper, but now I can't get the screws with nut on bottom out of the other three. Soaked in P Blaster, but can't hold the screw end with a screwdriver. Any suggestions ?

Posted on: 2014/7/18 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I am thinking about trying an impact screwdriver on my 48 hood bumpers, with a wrench on the bottom nut. Or am I going to have to drill them out ? Thanks

Posted on: 2014/7/27 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd try the impact driver but if the head or slot is totally gone expect you will have to drill or cold chisel the screws off from the bottom. If the screws are really rusted and there is enough bite for the impact driver, the head may just twist off when you hit the driver.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 19:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
They are in really good shape- I removed one that had only one screw for some reason, and have been trying one other, which is getting rounded off , Haven't tried the other two yet .

Posted on: 2014/7/27 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
HH 56 - Were you able to recondition the rubber on your hood bumpers ? I have the ones on my 48 off now, and would like to reuse them, if I can replace the rubber coating. What did you use ? ( I know the 48 bumpers are a little different). Thanks

Posted on: 2014/9/24 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What I did was cast completely new pieces. Filled all the cracks and breaks on the old pieces with body filler to make them look mostly in new condition and then made silicone molds. Cut new metal cores and then poured urethane rubber around the new cores so they became a complete piece. My 47s are different than your 48s so my molds would not work for yours. I didn't realize Max had the 47 pieces at the time so I made mine but since yours are in repro don't think with the price of urethane rubber it is cost effective to make them the way I did.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 12:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
With a cost of nearly $80 for four repos ( I think they are 17.00 each ) - I will try to cover them in rubber if possible. The cores are still good.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know there is a dipping product called plasticoat in hardware stores that does a job of coating but thought that might be too shiny. I bought a can of "synthetic liquid rubber" from McMaster and was going to try the re-coating on mine. I never did try so don't know how it looks or if it will hold up. The small can was cheaper than the dip out here. If your rubber has cracks it might cover them but not sure how it would do on missing chunks without some extra filling.http://www.mcmaster.com/#76425a51/=tv7cpk

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Do you know how thick the rubber is on the top and bottom of an original bumper ?

Posted on: 2014/9/24 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have a 48 piece to look at but on the 47 the metal is on the bottom next to fender with just a thin skin of rubber covering it -- so maybe about as thick as a piece of paper on that side. The top side is about 1/8" thick over the metal for a total thickness of about .200 on the flat portion. The screw hole recess on the top goes to the metal. 47 has the approx 5/16" diameter rounded portion on the side and metal comes up to sort of an inverted V shape inside that rounded portion. The metal is probably surrounded by the same 1/8" of rubber.

Looking at a drawing of Steele's wedge repro I imagine the 48 piece would be around those dimensions with the metal just flat on the bottom side and bent up at an angle for the wedge.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.34 KB)
209_5423558e036d3.jpg 398X400 px

jpg  (16.74 KB)
209_542357bbab855.jpg 600X386 px

Posted on: 2014/9/24 18:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved