Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 21 and 22-23?? series hood bumpers.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
23rd has some on each side but mostly round rubber buttons all around the hood, which don't show in these earlier cars which are quite expensive to procure..., couple bucks apiece and there's dozens. I'm probably going to use some sort of rubber compression seal instead. Also seem to recall there's a detent on the hood underside where they go. Shows in that one picture with the hood open from underside.
Something to do with the clam shell opening hood. No fulcrum like a regular one way hood. Probably acts as a bearing and prevents corner catching and buckling of the sheet metal.
Confusion is merely a state of mind, you'll recover. We get deeply absorbed in these single problems and it over whelms us temporarily. Another medical use for beer.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Howard - My 48 Touring Sedan has two bumpers on each side. The rounded side points up and to the outside . Kinda lays against the fender curve. The rubber is pretty well gone with metal underneath.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I made a set of the hood pads you describe by splitting a piece of vacuum tubing and installing over the end of the metal piece, then dipping the whole piece in liquid rubber. I dipped the assembly several times until I got the look I wanted. Good luck. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2014/6/29 21:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I thought of something along those lines and will probably use that method of dipping on the small ones. For these I wasn't convinced the repair wouldn't separate so started making a silicone mold. I will form new metal and pour the thing as one using urethane rubber. Not sure how hard the originals were so question now is use 60 which is between pencil eraser & tire tread hard or go with 80 for which the example is a rubber heel. Never thought something so small would involve so much.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Howard, I for one am glad you and others put the time and effort into figuring out these things and working out methods to fix them. You make that job into a resource for the rest of us slackers so we can ride your hard work to get our own projects working too. I just hope that when I get further along with my car that I can answer a fraction of the questions that come up here, I'd like to at least try to earn my keep on this board sometime!

Posted on: 2014/6/29 22:23
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I think my bumpers are more like a rubber heel. They have the weight of the hood on them and you know how heavy those things are.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/6/30 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm taking an educated guess, that the hood bumpers are the same automotive (moulding) grade rubber as used in the door mats. SAE spec RS 806 AJK or RIY 806. These SAE numbers are out of date but may lead to the newer numbers/specs. I'll search around, if you need more info. I used to have SAE access but no longer.
The correct grade would be on the drawing for this part, which they may have. But it's a cost you probably don't want for 4 small parts.
Catalyst cure casting grade silicone rubber will be a bit more shiny than SAE rubber. Don't know how pure your restoration. Some are dipping/spraying to get the surface look but not sure what they're using.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have a small trial amount package of the shoreA 80 urethane that should be enough for the two I need so will see what it does. It may be a bit shiny but I think function will be the more important issue here.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just my 2 cents, the first three are from the same car. The last picture shows that someone just took a piece of hose, split it and glued it on.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (77.10 KB)
1003_53b451ea22724.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (117.36 KB)
1003_53b4521ab8609.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (63.25 KB)
1003_53b4523b92e36.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (73.00 KB)
1003_53b45288d276d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/2 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
To me - it looks like the 21 series point down and the 22 series point up because of the way the hood rests on the fender.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 15:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved