Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1955 Packard Door handle kepps falling off ARRRGHHH!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I know this semms to be a small problem but my inside door release handle keeps falling off. Ive tried evrything-ordering a new handle-EVEN GORRILLA GLUE! Now the serice manual mentions a spring behind the door handle-I guess it must go between the door itself and the door panel-can someone enlighten me?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 16:11
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard Door handle kepps falling off ARRRGHHH!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The spring they refer to is between the door metal and upholstered panel. The purpose is to keep pressure on the panel to minimize vibration and so the ring and plastic bezels on the older knobs were kept from rattling and up against the handles on the type with pin retainers so the pins wouldn't fall out.

You could possibly remove it on yours but the panel may vibrate and it may not do any good. The handles falling off were a constant problem. Packard tried a new type clip on the handles after model introduction in 55 and also stuffing material between the clip and handle to increase tension on the clip was suggested later on. None of the methods tried were very successful.

Here is what the spring looks like. This is a photo from MMPs site but many cars used the same spring and many vendors sell the item

Attach file:

jpg  (21.03 KB)
209_53b1dbab8c95c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/6/30 16:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I have the same issue with handles that will not stay on. Thinking about finding handles that are retained via set screws or maybe drilling the studs for screw retained handles like AMC?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 19:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've experimented with the set screws and think that is probably the most viable "fix" but know there will be some that don't want any mods -- particularly ones that need holes drilled. For those individuals I don't see an easy way of keeping the handle on. On the setscrew idea, the first one I attempted on an old handle needed farther thought but it did prove the concept.

The issue with the first attempt is the socket is elongated for space to house the clip. In order for the handle to be secure and straight on the shaft the clip or some kind of filler for that space needs to be present in the handle. The sides of the clip take up some space in the area where a setscrew would normally go and that was my mistake in trying to eliminate the clip and center the setscrew. With the clip installed, there still appears to be room for a 6-32 and maybe an 8-32 set screw off to the side of the clip legs but still out of sight on the handle. Am thinking I will also get a small press in hole plug and try to cover the hole. Won't be really needed on the latch handle but would be if a window knob needs the fix also.

My car also has flying handles so after this discussion will work more on the setscrew. A regular jobber length bit is too short and the handle interferes with the chuck while drilling. Before attempting another, I need to order an extended length drill bit the proper size to thread for the setscrew. Might need a tap extender also but will first see if a regular length tap and small wrench to turn it will do the job. Unless someone else wants to attempt the setscrew and post results I'll try again in a couple of weeks.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
If the handle is "well attached", then they are a PITA to get off even with the correct tool! It seems they are either one way or the other. If one is loose, I agree that "Gorilla Glue" doesn't work either.

I think Howard's set screw idea is a good one (he usually has good ones). The left rear door handle on my 55 Pat seems to fall off spontaneously on occasion, so the next time it does, based on Howard's suggestions above, I'll try drilling and tapping for a set screw and post the results. I have a couple of extra handles, so I can afford to experiment some.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/30 21:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Not sure of the set screw fix. I used the proper tool for removal and 3 came off and have gone back on without issue but I too have 1 falling off due to the clip tab broken. did a enet search and was wondering if anyone has tried these.
http://www.performancenowdirect.com/servlet/the-6804/Door-Handle-Interior-Retainer/Detail. a little pricy but so are certain vendors external handle clips. $90.00 +. someone mentioned new exterior clips on eby for $50. anyone tried these. I could use 1 rt frt 55 clipper ext handle clip,5 pwr window sw retainer clips and 1 interior door handle clip GOOD USED will pay reasonable + sp if anyone has. Due to the interior handle opening machined larger and at an angle at the bottom of the opening and such a thin shoulder there I dont think a set screw tightened against the shaft will hold for very long. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2014/7/2 12:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I think I may be ordering 1 of these. ship seems a little steep for a clip that fits in an envelope. If no one has experience with this company i will relate part quality,correctness,effectiveness etc.
Door Handle Interior Retainer 1955-1956 Packard
Packard parts book group # 30.332This listing is for a Door Handle Interior Retainer.Carmarketpro has now begun to offer specialty parts for the 1955 - 1956 Packard! Some rare parts will be NOS, many will be NEW / reproduction. These parts, as you know, are very hard to come by...
19.80 + 6.98

Posted on: 2014/7/2 12:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The link didn't work for me but it will be interesting to see if the clip you found is the same or an improvement over the originals. Looking at some clips from different handles, there were at least 3 used by Packard. I only found one Packard reference to a change so no idea if the third is aftermarket or maybe something Stude supplied.

In the photos, the two black ones have different side heights and the opening in clip is different. Not sure which is original and if one of those might be a replacement of if the third which has no opening and is much stronger in general is the replacement.

I have gone ahead and tried the setscrew again on an old handle to finalize locations. Want to change to a different type screw to see if I like it better and will post a photo later on a different handle and show how it turned out. With the clip and the setscrew, my handle is now very secure but know it will not be a fix all would want.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.47 KB)
209_53b44d9275bcf.jpg 559X351 px

jpg  (20.74 KB)
209_53b44d9d0fcc7.jpg 512X416 px

jpg  (36.05 KB)
209_53b44da5eaa4c.jpg 358X400 px

Posted on: 2014/7/2 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The clips are nice if you never intend to take the handles off again(as in NEVER). Otherwise I have found that using a thick piece of cardboard or paper folded over works for a long long time. It is not a forever fix but it does work.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 14:35
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is what I tried on the handle setscrew. Used a #36 long reach bit to drill thru both sections of handle to keep holes in line. Because the tap has a wider shank than the actual thread, the outer hole needs to be enlarged a bit for clearance so used a larger long bit to open just the outer hole. Originally went with a setscrew. Found that once installed on the door, because of awkward position a short screw was too hard to find with the allen wrench inside the handle and a longer one didn't look good in the larger clearance hole.

Decided that by enlarging the outer hole a bit more a socket head screw would look decent and being flush, would be easy to find with an allen wrench. Here is the handle with a 6-32 x 1" socket head screw shortened by about 1/8" so it would fit flush with the handle.

As to how well or long it will hold, unknown at present. As I mentioned in an earlier post, because of the angle in the handle the clip or something to fill that old space still needs to be there to keep the handle square on the shaft. The screw needs to be drilled slightly off center to the opening because of the legs on the clip taking some space in the center of square.

The handle seems secure and better than before inasmuch as I can't pull it off. If it proves necessary, one could also see where the screw is landing and biting into the handle shaft. You could then drill a small depression in the shaft as a lock point for the screw. The only thing I am really questioning is the amount of material that can be threaded. It is less than 1/8". Am seriously contemplating whether the screw should be coated with a release agent and some JB Weld applied in the open area around the screw to set and form a channel that would in effect have additional threads for the screw.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.57 KB)
209_53b463e732970.jpg 1280X1266 px

jpg  (25.05 KB)
209_53b463eff0df1.jpg 574X484 px

jpg  (30.55 KB)
209_53b463f919a2f.jpg 649X606 px

Posted on: 2014/7/2 14:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved