Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1955 Packard Door handle kepps falling off ARRRGHHH!
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Got an email from the vendor asking if I had a 55 or 56 car. He says there is a difference in the 2 clips. ??? anyone know of this? If there is a difference, I would think there would be 2 listings for clips on the website or a request for year on his order form. No rush for me but days delay if you do not add this info. as far as good? used from other vendors, I would think they may be worn out and weak like the 1 we have. Im hoping for NOS or new reman .

Posted on: 2014/7/4 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a different part number for 55 handles and retainers and 56 handles and retainers so that makes for an interesting question. Question would be if there was an actual physical difference in the parts or was it just the part number changes they were in the process of updating to integrate with Stude. 55 has the old 6 digit part numbers and the 56 has the new 7 digit numbers. Looking at some spare handles which am reasonably sure are of mixed years I do not see an obvious difference in them. That single different clip was inserted in one of the bunch.

There was a documented change in the clip for the 55s so perhaps that is the two black clips with different openings in the photo in post #8. I wonder now if that other clip with the solid back and heavier construction might have been a change for 56. If so it must have been later because my 56 had the type with openings. It will be very interesting to see what they send you.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Well the used clip they shipped seems to be doing the job. It had looked like it would need to be adjusted for firmer engagement but it was decided to put it on just as received. After several road miles and the better half shutting the door "robustly" (seemingly testing the poor clip) it is holding so price is a little less of a sting.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. These are the 3 versions that have been found in handles. Do you recall which version of the clip they might have shipped?

Attach file:

jpg  (13.66 KB)
209_53fe37340ca01.jpg 263X366 px

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Believe it was the middle one in your pic though the bottom 2 look similar. I will keep the original one in the bag with all original clips/parts which did not get reused

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
This is like the gift that keeps on giving!

I solved my door handle problem through an exasperating series of trials and errors, I finally found a solution that has been working for more than a year (no, really). Along with a rather weak clip, I lodged a piece of felt into the gap and drove the concoction home by gently tapping the handle with a rubber mallet. I know it sound bizarre, but it seems really seated in there now and hasn't budged one bit since I did my magic!

As I always say, if you keep banging your head against a wall, sooner or later you will successfully put it through. Ignore the throbbing headache ...

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:16
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved