Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How To Remove Temperature Gauge Wire From Head
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
So it does two things at once I can see some situations where that would be a problem.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Many "Thanks" to all of you who helped me with info on removing the Temperature Gauge wire. Unfortunately as I was carefully attempting to remove it the wire broke at the bulb. Not sure exactly what to do now, also not sure if it can be repaired or if I can find a replacement. Any suggestions ??

Posted on: 2014/7/14 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is too bad but honestly, if the bulb had never been removed not totally unexpected. It seems the bulb and head can almost become one piece when the sediment and calcium locks them together.

There are places that advertise in Hemmings that can do the repairs. Maybe someone here will have a recent experience with one of them and can pass on a recommendation.

If you want to try it yourself, here are some fairly decent instructions.http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge
I know they are for a Plymouth but we won't hold that against them. Basically the identical construction. I know some have used the instructions to work on theirs but can't recall any feedback as to if they succeeded or finally passed it on to a rebuilder. If you do try it yourself, remember the Packard nut seems to be a bit of a different length from the universal gauges and needs to be transferred.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
You may want to consider removing the head and position it so one of the phosphoric acid rust removing solutions can be used. Make a dam out of some sort material (plumber's putty?) so the acid can be allowed to sit in the cavity for several hours. You may also want to consider pouring some of the solution into the head and position it so it flows to the point where the bulb is.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 20:20
 Top  Print   

Temperature gauge repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello,
Can someone recommend a person or business that Offers a repair service for temperature gauges. As many of you know by my posts that the wire broke as I was attempting to remove the bulb from the head of my 1937 115 C. Many thanks to all of you that have replied to my questions, I appreciate you.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 21:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Temperature gauge repair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wolf Instruments I believe still does these. They are a regular advertiser in Hemmings, don't have a copy handy but someone else can dig out the info if you don't get Hemmings.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Temperature gauge repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your reply, I will contact Wolf Instruments. Have a great day !!!

Posted on: 2014/7/22 7:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved