Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 113

37Blanche, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
What could I expect to pay for a paint job, using a new color, on a 1937 Packard 120 coupe?

There's a very nice--at least I think so-- 1937 Packard 120 coupe listed on Auto Trader Classics for $21,000, but I don't care for the dark brown body color. I'd like to have it re-painted a glossy black.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/7 18:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Cost depends on how much work is involved and how much work you do. It can get real expensive real fast if there is a lot of rust to be replaced and body work to be done. A first-class job where all the trim is removed, polished and/or replated and all body repairs performed can run well over $10,000. Better to buy a restored car than try and restore it yourself. It will cost you less and you will have the car to enjoy instead of being in a shop for many months.

However, if you enjoy doing this type of work yourself you will have something to occupy your time and give you pleasure for a long time. Take a look at the Project blogs in this discussion forum. Some posters here have taken on huge projects and are doing impressive work on them.

(o{}O)

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Yikes! I had no idea a paint job could get so darn expensive. As for me doing any of the work, I'm out of luck in that regard. I'd have to depend on the kindness of strangers, aka, the local auto-body shop.

The car in question listed on Auto Trade doesn't indicate any rust issues and the chrome still looks presentable. I'm not interested in a show car, rather one I can enjoy and drive.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
$5K++

That's why I do paint jobs myself: < $500 for materials and Eqmt. Good for a 5 footer. Works if it is a driver.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I have two quotes for my 56 Pat of 15k and 25k, and that is with me doing all the bodywork and prep. To 2nd Craig, that is why I am doing it myself.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 20:00
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I delivered my Packard disassembled to the paint shop. All paint had been stripped and body work started. I actually was contemplating shooting single stage paint in my garage. My painter came to my home and gave me an estimate. He complimented me on the work that was already completed, but said he would need to take it all down so he could be sure of the body's real condition. I always appreciated his candor. He was not the least expensive, but he earned my trust. I' m glad I choose him. He also cut and buffed all the Knicks out after The csr was reassembled.

Yes....good paint and body work can be costly. I'm glad I personally chose NOT to paint my Packard myself.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The more I hear those numbers the more I like Cli55ers approach with the patina. I went thru the paint bit 20 years ago with the 56 and 54 and it was a few thousand each then.

This time is different. The 47 polished out reasonably well and looks decent but has nicks and scratches from all the sitting and stuff hitting it. Tried some color match on a few of the worst spots which hides them OK. Finally decided the 30 or 40 year old Earl Scheib job was good for a 50 footer and would have to suffice. Will spend the money on doing other things properly and a very good interior ($90 a yard good) plus having some chrome done but the next person can do paint.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Yeah I was in the 10k range myself...... 1500 just to clear coat the patina..... Cleared it myself in the garage for less then 300 iirc. Sanding sux...fyi

Posted on: 2014/7/7 23:34
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Paint cost is one main reason, along with engine kits and interiors, that old cars are 1. not getting restored any more and 2. why there is such a demand for "survivors".

Lots of value in survivors.

Having said that, there is a lot at stake it seems by trying it yourself.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 6:54
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
That was my approach too, until my prized Survivor turned out to be DOA.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 9:02
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved