Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

distributor problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 39 120 recently sputtered to a stop after running great for months. I towed it home, and it pull started, but ran badly. The carb is freshly rebuilt by an expert,i.e. not me. It is getting fuel in the barrel and squirts fuel from the nozzles when pumped. The spark is a weak blue spark. I replaced the coil but no improvement.

The distributor is an Autolite. I have a spare one, I think from a 40 Packard I used to own. It is an IGP 4502C. It looks the same as the one on the car, but has a different set of points. It has a one piece one, similar to a Chevy. The one on the car has a split set of points, that adjust using a set of distributor wrenches rather than a screwdriver.

Question - will the spare one work on my 39 120?
Second question - any suggestions on where to look for problems on the one on the car?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:00
 Top  Print   

Re: distributor problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Physically, the '40 distributor should fit your '39. I would burnish and adjust the points and lube the cam while the distributor is on the bench. Don't forget to lightly oil the felt under the rotor and fill the cup with grease. This would be a good time to check and make sure the mechanical advance is free and functioning and that the vacuum advance chamber is not leaking. Nice to have a spare distributor to exchange. If this does not fix you problem, then you get to look elsewhere, and can rule out the distributor.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/7 21:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Just curious, do you have a weak blue spark on all cylinders? Are your plug wires in good shape*? Is there any evidence of burning on your distributor cap?

*For example, if you grab a spark plug lead while the engine is cranking over and get a shock, your plug wire or cap are sho%&#$#$..damn that hurt.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 19:56
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I replaced the coil (probably not needed) and cleaned and regapped the points. The later was 98% of the problem, but it wasn't helped by two loose spark plug wires and some misgapped spark plugs. I went back to the lessons I got from an old mechanic in the early 60's, working on a 39 Chevy - you know, the basic tuneup! The car is now running great and I'm taking it and the 51 to local car show today.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 7:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
A most salubrious result!

Posted on: 2014/7/20 19:11
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved