Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

BigKev, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V8 Parts Guy from Duluth Minnesota area
Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Jack
I understand but there are few $3000 1956 400's out there that are solid and need restoration. Nice ones that need nothing but maintenance are probably $15,000 and nicer ones $20,000 and up. I am just an average Joe that has to try some sweat equity. Plus, with the transport costs of $3000 to bring the 42 Packard in, having this car being 150 miles from me is significant.

I received another reply to a PAC ad that said (that seller) he had a 1956 400, complete but rusty for $2500.

He probably won't sell it, but I probably won't find a 56 senior car for $1000 obo in Iowa, ever again.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 20:57
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
I want to say I had the most enjoyable conversation with Mike this morning. I had no idea what to expect, called him a little early at 8:15am. We talked about 30 minutes.

He said he went to retrieve the car and had already paid $1000 for it but left it there. He said "what does that tell you?"

So, I was wrong, the car is still for sale but is not worth it in his opinion.

Great guy, look forward to visiting with him further and will probably take a trip up his way soon.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
I am not sure how you can tell it is a 56 over a 55 except maybe the eyebrows.

The eyebrows are what I look for first. Also, the dagmars (aka bombs) are farther apart on the 56. The 56 had them directly below the headlights, the 55's are closer to the centerline of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.76 KB)
53041_53df14e339fd1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (81.60 KB)
53041_53df150f3b6e6.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2014/8/4 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Sounds like Mike did you a favor by getting to it first.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 8:16
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Yes he did. But my perspective on what constitutes a car which can be saved is different from most guys.

I don't want a lot of dents or rust in the "body". The fenders / hood etc can be swapped out but I am no body guy.

I will probably pass on the car but I hate to being a 56. Would like to know if it is an early 56 or late.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Go for it! I am certainly happy that I got mine. And another point is that the more outward placement of the "bombs" might have been out of necessity to try and protect those more prominent "eyebrows" on the senior 56s in parking lots.

I am waiting for Packard collectors to start highlighting the feature of cars with the "very rare" silver mesh grill inserts instead of the later gold anodized mesh that most of them have. I have heard the legend that someone saw the competing 1956 Cadillacs with their gold treatments and decided that Packard ought to keep pace. I have also heard that a significant cause in the delayed production of the 1956 cars was due to the inability of the grille supplier to have the new parts on time. The Battle of Waterloo all over again, for lack of a nail.

Not an insignificant point is that the more expensive 1957 Chevy Bel Airs had gold mesh while the Two Tens and Delrays had silver. This must have been a real issue with the mid-1950s car makers. To wit: the Plymouth Fury and the Rambler Rebel.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I am waiting for Packard collectors to start highlighting the feature of cars with the "very rare" silver mesh grill inserts instead of the later gold anodized mesh

I've not been very successful getting detail data from 56 Caribbean owners but on the convertibles the switch from silver to gold mesh occurred somewhere between #1040 and #1078, probably nearer the earlier # than the later. The switch from two door-jamb switches to a single switch appears mixed and random in the early cars but use of the single switch (still still retaining two holes, 1 blanked off) was uniformly in place by #1040, and the new door jamb stamping with but a single opening for a single switch occurred sometime prior to #1203.

It would be nice to narrow these ranges down a bit, perhaps some 5699 owners will come forward with some new information.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
While I haven't had much time for online pursuits, lately, I couldn't help but notice the comments on 55 vs. 56 models. Most of the points brought up are covered on this site's Model Info feature for 55th Model Series and 56th Model Series, which I helped compiled several years ago.

Several years ago, I composed the texts for the 'General Information' for each of pages for the 55-56 models, with emphasis on changes from similar models of the prior year, as well as contrasting models of same years. Initially, I wrote in order of what was most obvious to me, but in view of recent posts, I went back and tried to reorient the text with a perspective from front to rear for the 56th Series (my personal favorite). I also added a point about the relocated bombs/dagmars/guards. When time permits, I may revisit the 55th Series texts.

Between those texts and the pics, scanned and cleaned up from my collection of original factory literature, you should have little trouble distinguishing between the models and years. Still, can be a bit tough to distinguish between Super and Custom Clippers of same year without getting close up and personal.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
And another point is that the more outward placement of the "bombs" might have been out of necessity to try and protect those more prominent "eyebrows" on the senior 56s in parking lots.

That is a very good point. Looking at those two photos of the 55 and 56, I think it's amazing how much the face of the car changed as the company was taking it's last gasps: longer eyebrows, relocated dagmars, different eggcrate in the grill, different badge in the grill, crest added to hood, along with the changes others noted to the side trim and trunk lid profile. Packard was investing in that car almost to the day the lights went out.

The other extreme was Studebaker, which tacked fiberglass fairings on to the front fenders in 58 to accomodate quad headlights. Talk about phoning it in. Even Checker integrated quad lights better than that.

Speaking of the eyebrows, someone mentioned that they were just tacked on to the 51-54 fender stampings. Were they bolted on in place of the old trim rings and the seam filled with lead so it looks smooth? I have noticed that the only other car with eyebrows that well integrated was the 55-56 Plymouth.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure it was absolutely the same 51-4 stamping because there is a slightly different crown profile on the 55 and slightly different again on the 56 fenders.

Believe the eyebrows were welded on but the leadwork covering the joint sometimes left a bit to be desired. I had a Patrician with one side nicely done but the other side was noticeable if the light hit it at the right angle.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved