Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'56 W/W Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've had an ongoing issue with my w/w's in that they stopped working by twisting the control knob, however they do work momentarily when I push the control knob for the w/washers.
Upon inspection I discovered that the control wire had come out of the small end plate. When I reattached the wire, the w/w's worked with the twist of the knob, but they wont 'park'. Also, the actuator doesn't seem to work,either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:43
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 W/W Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the coordinator the wire has to be inserted per the photo with the washers on the wires positioned as shown. From your symptom it kind of sounds as if the washer on one or the other cable is not in the correct spot. The coordinator cylinder and square zinc piece must also be able to freely slide in the bracket.

Operation: To start the wipers, the end of the wire pushes against the black slide valve. Because the coordinator wire is inserted in the slide, it pulls the coordinator in the bracket and square zinc piece along. When turning the wipers off, the washer on end of wire has to be on the outside of the zinc piece so it can pull the assembly (and the valve) back to the off position. The flat end of the square zinc piece has to be all the way against the mounting boss cast in the motor and the slide valve against the flat end to be off.

When the coordinator has control, the small wire in the coordinator operates the slide valve directly and the square zinc piece and coordinator cylinder is stationary. To return the valve to the full off position, the wire and washer from the cylinder are both inserted in the small pocket in the slide. Usually the wire has to be pulled out slightly from cylinder against the spring so the washer and wire can be freely inserted in the slot to ensure both go into position.

If there is no coordinator, the cable has a similar clamp arrangement in the front mount (covered by square zinc piece in these photos). In that case, the cable would operate the slide valve directly and both wire end and washer goes into the small pocket in the slide valve -- just like the coordinator wire is shown.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.94 KB)
209_53c33c4069e47.jpg 1280X594 px

jpg  (61.10 KB)
209_53c33c55ee731.jpg 1280X596 px

Posted on: 2014/7/13 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 W/W Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
seems to me, the unit could be made to run on positive pressure instead of negitive pressure

Posted on: 2014/7/14 0:14
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved