Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 119

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Possible to get in a nice Pack -120 for $25K?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4516781293.html

I stumbled upon this beautiful 1939 Packard 120 in New Jersey for $25K or OBO. Granted, the supplied info is sketchy about the particulars of the mechanical aspects. That notwithstanding, it appears that it is possible to get into a Pack without having to pay an arm and a leg.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

PS: This Pack is particularly appealing to me because my mother was born in 1939.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 18:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Possible to get in a nice Pack -120 for $25K?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Looks nice. Hubcaps are wrong (1938 hubcaps).
front seat doesn't look to be the right material but it looks like a nice car.

Ok this is not a 39 and it doesn't look as nice but there's 11k difference in asking price and 1600 miles closer:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4566060142.html

Posted on: 2014/7/14 18:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
For the price-differential ($11K) do you think the 1937 could be make to look as good and run reliably as the 1939?

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/14 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Make sure you have someone that is familiar with these cars do a thorough inspection for you. Probably the most expensive part is body, frame, rust. If there is no rust anything can be done. With rust in chassis or body parts, unless you can do it yourself, will skyrocket restoration costs. With mismatched and rusted parts that few thousand paint job, easily turns into a ten thousand paint job lasting months. Next is upholstery, can you live with it now and enjoy right away, or? Most mechanical stuff you can handle on your own, or a good local experienced mechanic that is willing to listen to Packard guidelines, and has the space to take the time needed to do it correctly.
Look at the body styles, example the front windshields, which style looks better to you?
Wish you the best, been thinking of a 120 for a long time, to keep simple, for myself.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The 39 120 is a nice riding car. Many people actually prefer the 120 to the Senior cars, as the smaller engine makes them easier to drive. I've had a 39 120 for about 14 years, and had a 40 120 before that for about 10 years. They are fairly easy to work on, parts aren't too expensive, and they are capable of highway speeds, as long as you aren't driving south from Salt Lake (80 mph posted limit). I agree with the earlier posts - stay away from rusty models. A little rust in the trunk or the running boards isn't uncommon, or difficult to fist, but rusty doors, fenders etc turn into money pits.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think you would spend more than the $11K difference to get the '37 to be as nice as the '39. The '39 has the all steel body, improved engine and cooling system. Interior is not authentic, but it is attractive and the materials look to be of good quality. In addition, an overdrive could be fitted to the '39 if one is not already there. I'd take the '39 over the '37.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
With very little bondo or rust, correct engine numbers, and several thousand dollars lower sale price, don't see why not. Go there with a paper towel and magnet on a spring to check for bondo. If you are dealing directly with the seller, you will probably get the whole story, the good and bad. And may be able to throw in some extra parts. See how it drives, or better yet have your experienced person inspect.Allow yourself a budget to fix or make correct various items on the car. When you get a car plan to spend sseveral days doing a complete overhaul and inspection. from complete brake inspection, to engine compression check. Cooling system check, etc.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
All things being inspected and looking good, 17500 would be a good price. Other one around 10k.
If this doesn't work out many more will come. Try looking at adds from Packards International, Packard Auto Club, Classic Car Club of America, and any number of other reliable clubs.You will most likely be able to talk at length with the seller, he will know about the car, and will recommend other collectors that are familiar with the car, and can come to inspect for you. Buying from a reputable collector, may cost you a few thousand more in the beginning, but save you much later on. Example you purchase a vehicle from someone that is known here at Packard Information, everyone will know about the car, what needs to be done, and reduces the possibility of a broken heart, and wallet. No matter what budget you are on, figure about five thousand extra, to cover? Essentially if you can afford a bit more for a good car now, you will probably spend less later on.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
PACKARD, 1941, Super-Eight 160, Series 1903 four-door sedan. A real survivor with 51,000 documented original miles. It is equipped with overdrive (Aero Drive) and Electromatic Clutch that works perfectly. The car was repainted and seats recovered some time ago. The engine, brakes, starter, generator, carburetor, clutch, front end, etc. have all been rebuilt. This car is mechanically ready to go anywhere comfortably and reliably at 65-70 mph. It is a joy to drive and rides beautifully on new radial tires. Asking $35,000. Pictures available. mbrohrer@aol.com or 239-293-5557.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Excellent advice. All those who have responded have added a little something to the mix. Love this place. It is refreshing to encounter a forum where people are helpful AND civil.

I have no doubt I'll be able to make an informed decision based solely on what I learn here.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/15 0:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved