Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Glass
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
My 1950 Packard needs new glass. Where do I get new glass and what is involved? Can a good body shop install it? What should a complete installation cost?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Try gerry@packardssouthwest.net lots of quality used parts

Posted on: 2014/7/14 22:05
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe yours and the 47 are the same with all the glass being flat except for the rear piece. If you have a decent local glass shop they can probably use the old to cut new pieces and then install the glass. If not, there are several online places with factory patterns that have full sets for sale with exception of the curved rear piece. Finding someone to do the work shouldn't be that hard but -----. I decided to order mine for convenience and because I knew I would be installing myself but If I had it to do over again, might have tried harder locally.

You didn't mention if yours is a two or four door but if four, I bought my 47 replacements from an ebay store and did all the side pieces myself. That place is in Oregon but there are probably places closer to you. The windshield pieces were also included in the package but I haven't installed those yet.

There was not too much difficulty or drama encountered. The old glass can be a bit of a problem in getting out of the frames but by clamping the glass in a vise between blocks of wood and then driving the metal off there was not too much work. Just use some finesse and unless you are going to use them for a pattern, if you damage the old glass it is not the end. I only cracked one oiece but it had already been damaged on one corner.

The glass setting tape is available from several places. I bought the all rubber 1/16" thick from Restoration Specialties. I had my vents replated but if you are not doing that then all you need to do is make sure the old frame channels are clear of any old tape and dirt. The manual says lube channels and setting tape with oil but I used silicone spray instead. The tape is formed and laid in the frame and after the glass was also lubed, slid by hand into the tape and frame. The manual lists dimensions on the side window spacing to metal bottom piece but nothing is mentioned on vent windows. Take note of exactly how far the edge of the old glass extends from the vent frames. As I found out, if glass is flush with the frame edge, there is a space between the glass and rubber when the vent is closed. I had to pull my glass out a slight amount after the windows were installed but since the glass and tape hadn't hardened together it wasn't too hard to do. In installing the glass in the frames, two things to watch out for is no twisting or bending and if any gentle persuasion is necessary, use a cushioned item.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 23:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I also purchased glass from a local glass shop. The hard part is getting the metal trim off the door. The manual available on this web site tells you how to remove the old glass. The glass shop actually fitted the glass in the channel. The it was a process of reassembly. Since you have the door panels off-good time to check cloth/arm rests and re fresh wood graining.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 7:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I had all of my side glass eight pieces done by local shop got slight green tint to protect new interior. I dropped off old ones they had all done in two days $240 out the door only down side the OEM markings not on new glass but that does not bother me.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 9:18
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Something to consider is having a clear UV blocking window tint applied. It will keep the inside of the car much cooler and protect the interior from solar damage. Unlike the tinted window films, the clear does not change the appearance of the car. Most window tint shops offer this product.

(o{}o)

Edit: The clear film is used on windshields too.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 9:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved