Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Caribbean interior
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I am having trouble with a couple of issues with getting a new interior for the Caribbean. The first is that it is my understanding that Caribbeans have a combination of both leather and vinyl interior. With vinyl being the correct material for the back of the front seats.

I have been told by an individual who has owned many different cars, including very nice Packards, that when replacing the interior, only leather should be used. He says that even at a strict judging, the fact that all leather was used will not cause a point deduction. Is this correct?

My Dad is also having issues with picking a supplier from various leather samples that we have received. None seem to closely match the colors of the leather found in protected areas like the underside of the rear seat. Does anyone know how to insure that we would be purchasing the correct color? We have a Sahara Sand and Gulf Green car that originally had a Green and White interior. Dad wants to make sure that we get the right shade.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:46
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Caribbean interior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Just on the point of judging, there are guidelines available at Packards International Judging Guidelines. You might find that some judges 'allow' some different material and don't deduct points but the guidelines do state clearly here that "Redone upholstery is critically judged. It must be in the correct material to the year of the car".

That seems to indicate that judges could mark down if leather is substituted for original vinyl. Opinions do vary but in the strictest sense, if vinyl was present in the original upholstery then to achieve a perfect restoration, vinyl should be used in the restoration.

If no-one on this site can recommend a supplier for the correct leather etc colour(s)I suggest just continuing to get as many samples as you can, until you find the right supplier. Or find a leather dyer and get them to match your best sample.

Others will hopefully have info on external trim removal.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 6:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Try the PAC roster keeper for the 53-54 Caribbeans, maybe he can help.
http://www.packardclub.org

Posted on: 2014/7/17 7:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you both for the information. It seems that although all leather may look good, it is really not the right way to go. I did not know about the Roster Keepers, I will try that.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 9:33
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved