Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series Custom 8 Club Sedan Production Break Out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
I believe about 5600 Custom 8's were made in the 22nd series but there is no break out for the Club Sedan (2 door fastback).

Does anyone know anecdotally (educated guess) what the production might be for the 22nd series Custom 8 club sedan?

Posted on: 2014/7/17 9:32
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Custom 8 Club Sedan Production Break Out?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll find the answer, based on an analysis of surviving VN plate data, in Robert Neal's superb book on the 22nd and 23rd series Packards.

He estimates that production of the 22nd series Custom 8 club sedan (2255) was 547 for 1948 and 243 for 1949. If these cars interest you, the book is an outstanding source of information.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Thank you. I have not purchased the car but if I do, I will purchase the book. I believe it has been or is advertised in the back of the CNB if I recall.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO the 22nd series Custom 8s were one of the last truly luxury Packards built, and only perhaps a dozen or so club sedans survive in good condition - a really desireable postwar Packard.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 9:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Rgrettably, the very rare 22nd series Custom 8 Club Sedan has been sold to Max Merritt Auto. The car was for sale for $750 and I felt I had established a communication with the seller allowing me some time to move out a newer car.

I guess I was wrong.

I have reached out to Max Merritt to see if they would sell the car to me, at a modest profit.

I believe the price will end up like the 1st production 55 Patrician, and be quadrupled or more in price making it unacceptable as a 2nd car to restore with a possible 180 I have coming in.

That was my intent was to reinvigorate my Packard collecting with a dual purchase and dig in over the next 5-8 years and have 2 show worthy cars to tour, enjoy and maintain.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Ultimately I believe, and I could be wrong, that the car will be parted out because as we know, and as I pointed out to Max Merritt, these cars, even senior Custom 8 22nd and 23rd series cars, are worth more in parts then they are in the kind of condition the car was in.

Interestingly, there are a fair amount of "tweeners" out there in the 22nd series Custom 8's that are neigher show cars or glorified parts cars in that $4000 to $10,000 range. Obviously, vertually all sedans.

The last non show car Custom 8 Club Sedan I saw was out fo Minnesota some 4 years ago. It was a solid car, from the photos and I believe it sold for $3000 or less. But it sold quickly.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 8:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/24 8:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved