Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Cracked block on 1922 Single Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Richard:

A crack visible with a camera is a pretty nasty situation.

The service limit for that motor is only .040 so I would check the bore and see if the motor has been overbored.

Given one crack already, if you can find somebody capable, and the pistons are not standard, then sleeve the whole thing back to standard.

I personally never had to deal with your situation so I don't know if the repair will work. The sleeve needs to be press fit into a smooth surface so the cylinder has to bored true after being welded. I guess they have to grind the weld smooth to get started.

I'll check tomorrow if anybody has fixed your situation and get back if they have.

Please note as well that motors originally having cast iron pistons usually have thinner walls because cast iron pistons are not subject to electrolytic corrosion. Thus, they don't wear as fast as cylinders with aluminum pistons.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 6:13
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
I am still trying to find a replacement block, but if I fail in the attempt, I have found a company which (at a cost!!) claims to be able to repair the existing one by cold stitching, machining and fitting liners to the offending cylinder(s). We have ascertained that the engine has had new pistons and liners fitted in the recent past, possibly when it was restored, so the old liner can be pulled and replaced after pinning the crack. Similarly, the valve port can be done and a seat insert fitted afterwards. Horrendously expensive and not ideal, but if I can't find a block, that's the way I will be forced to go!
Richard

Posted on: 2014/7/21 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Sorry Rich no luck on our end. I went through the half a dozen or so early 6 cylinder block but no luck.

James

Posted on: 2014/7/21 9:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Rich:

I checked today and the machine shop did have one of the Merlins (they implied it was a Merlin) came through and they fixed it. The downside is the motor was not put into a plane and became a demonstrator.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard,
My one and only experience with cold stitching was a total failure. The process relies on the pins having a reasonable thickness of metal to engage the pins and in my case it was marginal and they failed after a few hundred miles. I do not know what minimum thickness is required.
By the time the stitching had failed on mine the block had cracked in 2 other similar locations. If the block on yours is thinned by corrosion & wear then it is at risk of failing again or in other locations.
As I said this is based on one experience only and the company doing the repair will have lots of experience but so did the company that did mine, I later learnt that most of their work was on modern diesel prime mover engines which would not have suffered corrosion and still had the original metal thickness to hold the pins.
A member of our local club went through all of this some time ago, first repairing a cracked block, the repair failing, unable to find a replacement then making a new one entirely using 3D copying technology to make the patterns. You should not have to go that far there will be spare engines around for your Packard, they are not that rare.
David

Posted on: 2014/7/21 18:02
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
I have been told that David Moe at the Packard Seattle Company has a block, but I have no contact details for him or for the company. Can anyone here help me contact him - email is best because of the time differences.
Richard

Posted on: 2014/7/22 2:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you go to the Packard Club website and download the Yellow Pages for suppliers, you'll find David Moe's contact information, copied here for you.

Packard Seattle Company
425-334-7754
7627 44th St. NE
FAX 425-334-7754
Marysville, WA 98270
E-mail: dmoeenterprises@cs.com

Posted on: 2014/7/22 9:01
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Thanks Owen.
Richard

Posted on: 2014/7/23 11:19
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed B
See User information
I have an early 20's single six, actually an entire driveline. It makes a pretty cool old farm machine, but it might be available to a restoration project. It starts and runs, shifts, all of that.

Ed...

Attach file:

jpg  (59.61 KB)
4822_53eedf40c26a9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/8/15 23:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ed B,
First post, although a long time member, so to PackardInfo.

What a machine, love it! If you have the engine or chassis numbers, should be able to more closely identify it.

And, I'd love to see it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo along with any other Packard/s you may have.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 1:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved