Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Cracked block on 1922 Single Six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Tricky Dickie",

Great to hear this development, looking forward to more news as your 126 gets back on the road.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 13:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Latest news is that the ship carrying my two Packard engines is scheduled to dock at Southampton on 3 February. Once they are cleared through Customs etc., they will head north by truck and should arrive at my place around mid Feb. After that, we'll tear them down and start the rebuilding process.
Tricky Dickie

Posted on: 2015/1/29 6:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard,
Thanks for the update, looking forward to a favourable outcome, we have had our 126 since 1976 and its still going strong.
David

Posted on: 2015/1/30 5:53
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Engines have now arrived. Can anyone tell me how interchangeable are the parts between 1st and 3rd series single six engines?
Tricky Dickie

Posted on: 2015/2/17 11:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The cylinder bore was enlarged from 3-3/8 to 3-1/2 for the 3rd Series Single Six. The parts list should become your friend on this as it should identify the differences by part number, remembering of course that a different part number doesn't mean it won't interchange, just that it's different.

I believe the 3rd Series Six also introduced a new crankshaft with larger main bearings, I also seem to recall that the 3rd Series Six connecting rods were the first to be drilled to the wrist pins, and that the Oil Rectifier was fitted.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 11:59
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
Many thanks! We will need to be careful when re-building, to ensure that everything fits.
Regards
Tricky Dickie

Posted on: 2015/2/17 12:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
After 18 months, my Packard is now back on the road and running perfectly. It wasn't straightforward, as the two engines which I bought had assorted parts in them from different series and one (s/n 68644) had a much heavier crank than the other (we used this heavier crank). However, after a complete overhaul, including re-grinding the crank, re-metalling all bearings, new pistons, new valves/springs, re-bore (to 87mm), sleeving two cylinders and refurbishing literally everything else, we assembled a near-perfect "new" engine using parts from the two spares and the original and it runs like a Rolex watch and pulls better than the old one ever did. It has been a nightmare job and has cost a small fortune, but it has been worth it to have this beautiful car back again. Thanks to David M and all those who gave me advice and to Bob Davis, who supplied the spare engines, without which the car would still be laid up. Now for some enjoyable summer Packard motoring!

Posted on: 2016/7/22 7:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations Richard! Great to hear your Packard is now running better than ever.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 8:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Richard , its good to know it has all worked out, thanks for keeping us informed. I will be taking my 126 out in a couple of weeks, it hasn't had much use lately.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 17:21
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved