Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Packard 700r conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I must say im pleased as punch with the Bendtsen conversion kit. 1 problem (and it is a minor one) the backup lights are set to the old $@%&&! ultramatic-with reverse being the last gear-now on the new tranny R is the first gear after park-is there any way to adjust for this change? By the way any of you 55-56 owners out there tearing thier hair out with the old ultra-trust me you get the 700r not only will you have a reliable transmission, one that gets GREAT GAS MILEAGE and AWSOME get up and go-I doubt youl ever have to touch a transmission ever again.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 21:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard 700r conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to hear it worked out satisfactorily. Did you make a new plastic indicator or how did you handle the different layout. I don't believe "Smith" whose car was the first prototype conversion mentioned the reverse light or the indicator so both are interesting questions. Hopefully he will see your post and answer both questions. I see a few GM switches that mount on the column similar to Packards so maybe one of those could be adapted.

How was the install -- did Bendtsen do yours or did you or a local mechanic do the work. How about the driveshaft. Any info you care to share am sure would be well received.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 21:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
A retired mechanic friend of mine did the install. I also have a 1960's GM PRNDL that I think I can make fit in the dash.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
This certainly sounds interesting but I've yet to get a handle on what happens when you have a push button selector setup like on my '56 Patrician. Does anyone have any info about that part of a conversion? Cheers, John

Posted on: 2014/7/19 23:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
My '56 400 has the push button set up with the 4L60E transmission, and all of the positions work as they would have with the Ultramatic. It seems that the rod which goes from the selector motor has been altered to correspond with the more modern transmission.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 0:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Jack, do you mean the manual shift rod?

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:22
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I've been planning to use the Bendtsens's conversion in the rebuild of my 400. The kit will probably be my first purchase after the first of the year.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 6:43
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

jack klat wrote:
My '56 400 has the push button set up with the 4L60E transmission, and all of the positions work as they would have with the Ultramatic. It seems that the rod which goes from the selector motor has been altered to correspond with the more modern transmission.

Don't know if the 4L60e conversion like KevinAZ's with the new bellhousing is still available or if the 700r is the same or only GM option now but you are the first I remember hearing of that managed to keep the PBs. There were no rods in the original PB installation so curious on how they mounted the motor assy.

The PB setup and wanting to keep it has been one of the sticking points for any conversion on 56 cars because of the way motor was mounted directly to Ultras. The contact segment and finger block with the electrical spacing and layout only for the Ultra shift pattern has been the bigger problem. At the least it sounds as if they have overcome the finger issue but also curious how they did the whole conversion.

Any chance of some photos or more information on how it was done or if there is a kit available. Am sure any info you could provide would be well received from those who would like options to keep their PB setups.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 9:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
I will take some photos today.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I was advised by Bendtsen's that they can make the 700r work in 1956 pushbutton setup as well.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 20:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved