Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 2122
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Stan and I recently acquired a Custom Clipper that was once, I think, Vermont Green. Car needs everything, interior and wiring is shot but its all there and the body is straight. I also runs and doesn't smoke. Couple of rust holes in the front floor boards and more serious rust below the front door and near the trunk latch and a couple of holes in the trunk floor and spare tire hole.

I know exactly nothing about these cars except getting my hands on one has been a life long dream. So I guess its my retirement project if they ever let me retire.

I don't need a show winner, just shooting for a good looking daily driver.

So, first question convert to 12v or not?

Wasn't sure if a '47 clipper goes in pre or post war?

Posted on: 2014/7/20 16:21
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 2122
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Congratulations and I look forward with others here on your progress with the car. As far as a 12-volt conversion, it has absolutely nothing to offer as far as advantages go unless you contemplate adding some sort of AC system.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 16:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day StanJo58,
to PackardInfo.

'47 goes in Post-War, maybe BigKev can move this thread?

And I invite you to include your '47 Custom Super Eight Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
OK, yes please move the thread to post-war. Wasn't sure where it went because the Clipper was a '41 amd mostly unchanged until '47.

Yes were thinking about AC.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 9:01
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If converting to 12v there are some things that will be relatively easy but if it is a well optioned Custom sedan there are some items not available in 12v versions period -- and others will be a real pain to convert. The typical dropping resistors would do for some but not work well on other components. Finding a 12v solenoid for the large 356 starter would be quite the challenge. You may have to consider a dual voltage distribution to have some items work properly and other things like the solenoid will still be a challenge.

I am adding air to my 2122 and have decided to stay with 6v by converting a modern AC unit. Have done some experimenting and found some blower units will actually work acceptably on 6v. The compressor is the biggest sticking point since there appear to be no 6v clutches available anymore. Several documented cases where the 12v Sanden will work on a 6v car. Reasoning is it works by virtue of the 7.2 or so volts the generator normally puts out which is at the bottom of Sanden specs but just barely enough to engage the clutch. Others are not convinced so alternatives are being explored.

My AC is more of a research and seeing if it can be done project so have gone farther in the conversion than may be necessary. Point of this ramble is if you are thinking of converting only for the addition of AC there might be options. You could spend the money and time on a higher output generator or alternator instead of a total conversion.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 9:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Stan,
for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 22:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved